Closing date: Saturday, 25 April 2015
Vacancy code VA/2015/B5314/7344
Position title Human Resources Specialist
Department/office AFO, GHOH, Ghana
Duty station Accra, Ghana
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-10
Duration 1 Year will possibility of extension
Application period 17-Apr-2015 to 26-Apr-2015
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to:
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub-regional portfolio.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Human Resources (HR) Specialist provides advice to the senior management on the transparent implementation of HR strategies, effective delivery of HR services and management of the HR Unit in the Operational Hub, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she assesses client needs, interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Specialist leads and supervises the professional and support staff of the HR Unit throughout the Hub. He/she works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the Operational Hub, Regional Office and UNOPS HQ personnel ensuring successful performance in HR management
Summary of Key Functions
Implementation of HR strategies and policies.
- Effective HR management
- Staff performance management and career development
- Facilitation and promotion of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Specific duties and responsibilities;
1. Ensures implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- Continuous analysis of corporate HR strategy and policies, assessing the impact of changes and making recommendations on their implementation in the Regional Office. Continuous research of the matters related to conditions of service, salaries, allowances and other HR policy matters.
- Advice to senior management on HR new practices and their implementation (succession planning, career development and transition), strategic recruitment, advice on contract modalities, learning plan and performance evaluation).
- Regional Office HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit.
- Development of procedures and practices that contribute to enhanced and improved HR management.
2. Ensures effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes including updated job descriptions, proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and chairing of interview panels, making recommendations on recruitment.
- Development and maintenance of data base of job applications.
- Advice to office management on staff member competencies; Advice on staff member career development and training needs through the PRA.
- Advice to project managers on transparent and competitive process for project recruitment, adequate TOR describing terms of payment based on results, standard matrix of recruitment processes and request for contracts. Continuous monitoring of the entire UNOPS project recruitment process.
- Full compliance of the guidelines of the Appointment and Selection Panel.
- Advice to the Operational Hub management in contracts guidelines pertaining to staffing compliance. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through ATLAS.
- Management of the International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit. Close communication with local Government institutions to solve international staff-related issues. Close communication with HQ´s focal points pertaining to the correct administration of staff member entitlements and benefits.
3. Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration and implementation of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process.
- Implementation of effective systems for the performance evaluation, including training to supervisor for an effective use of the tool leading to career development. Advice on work plan, monitoring and performance team evaluation.
- Effective learning management including establishment of the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in collaboration with the Senior Management.
- Effective counseling to staff on career advancement, development needs, learning possibilities.
4. Ensures facilitation and promotion of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on HR-related topics.
- Development of Operational Hub learning plan in line with office needs in order to ensure staff is fully acquainted with UNOPS corporate regulations, rules and procedures, and the relevant tools and systems in place.
- Survey and identification of new learning opportunities to enhance the continuous professionalization of the Operational Hub personnel.
- Design and implementation of training for operations/ programme personnel on HR issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in administration.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall Operational Hub Office efficiency in human resources management and success in introduction and implementation of HR strategies and policies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, its dissemination, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and maintains high staff morale. It enhances credibility of UNOPS as an effective and efficient organization in the HR sector.
- Respect for diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Planning and organization skills
- Results orientation
- Strong oral and written communications skills:
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to practice areas
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to practice areas
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead recruitment, contracts management, performance appraisal, career development management, build teams, maintain high staff morale
- Excellent knowledge of UNOPS HR strategy and policies
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Master’s degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
Minimum 5 years of experience is required at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing personnel and operational systems. Minimum 2 years of experience is required in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS 2003 and/or newer versions).
Fluency in spoken and written English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA
Contract level: LICA-10
Contract duration: 1 Year with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here