Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Regional Manager – Leadership and Organizational Development
The Manager, Leadership and Organizational Development will be responsible for delivering the region’s leadership development strategy, through designing, delivering, and tracking leadership development programs across the region.
The role is also expected to design and manage a framework for ongoing follow up, coaching, and tracking for all training audiences aligned to set development plans and timelines.
The role will also support the development of people capability and engagement systems to drive organizational culture and alignment with regional Business Objectives. Scope of work will cover 3 main areas: Leadership Development; Change and Project Management; and Organizational Design.
- To work closely with regional and site leaders to define training needs and the content of core programs and to propose and agree overall approach to any agreed development programs and workshops.
- To ensure that programs have defined learning objectives, that the style and structure of sessions and the flow of learning appropriately meets these, that programs employ effective techniques and a blended approach that maximizes learning.
- Review and analyze outputs from engagement surveys, succession data, localization data, career development outputs, performance management data, and other critical data sources to define and design appropriate training and non-training solutions.
- To project manage the delivery of programs, and manage the relationships with relevant regional and site stakeholders to ensure the effective organization, delivery and follow up of all programs.
- To deliver value for money on all programs – and set and manage the budget to achieve this.
- To be the central lead for building coaching and mentoring capabilities across managers and supervisors, and conducting reviews and quality assurance of coaching interventions.
- Collaborate closely with Site HR, Site L&D, Talent Management, Industrial Relations and other HR groups in the design and delivery of programs and ensure an integrated HR service delivery framework.
- To coordinate all regional and site training programs – including non-HR programs in areas such as Finance and Communications, to ensure an alignment to business objectives and the seamless delivery of development programs to the workforce.
- Build and maintain a strong network of relationships, internally and externally (global) to ensure best practices and new learnings are applied to regional programs and interventions.
- Maintain a continuous improvement mindset, and identify opportunities for improving and maximizing training models and approaches.
- Act as a subject matter expert with regard to the design, development and delivery of learning and development interventions and apply expertise and thought leadership to the function and region’s strategy.
Change And Project Management
- Provide change management leadership and support for regional, functional and HR-driven projects as determined through business needs and priorities.
- Create and maintain leadership and management awareness and skills for leading and managing change effectively
- Develop, implement and sustain regional process and tools for approving, prioritizing and tracking projects and initiatives.
- Closely monitor and measure regional change to ensure regional and functional resources are utilized effectively.
- Develop and maintain ownership of a project register that captures all current and planned projects and initiatives.
- Develop a mechanism for providing change management guidance for approved projects to ensure that all regional projects have a level of change support, provided directly by the role or through an enabled Project Manager.
- Liaise with other key global initiative change management efforts and align as required.
- Serve as “internal OD consultant” and provide leaders and managers with counsel and support.
- Lead and/or support organizational development and design projects that improve people processes, structures, measures, and accountabilities with the ultimate goal to optimize the deployment of internal resources to achieve superior business results.
- Design and maintain the systems and processes for job creation, job evaluation, organizational structure design and organizational change rules.
- Collaborate with Compensation Specialist on the grading of job positions and assigning the correct optimum salary.
- Conduct regular audits of the organizational structure and recommends changes to make the organization more efficient.
- Develop process, content and tools for organizational design that can be incorporated or embedded into regional leadership and management training programs.
- Facilitate, coach and act as a trusted advisor to senior management to help enable their ownership of change, engagement and organizational design efforts.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards.
Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Position based in Accra. Regional travel will be required.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree/Master’s degree (preferred) in Human Resources, Business Administration, I/O Psychology, Organization Development, or similar fields or equivalent combination of work experience.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years of work experience, preferably leadership development, facilitation, direct change management and organizational design/development experience.
- Proven experience designing and delivering learning and development solutions and interventions.
- Certification and experience using multiple change management and organizational development methodologies.
Skills And Abilities
- High level of energy, sense of urgency, and passion for designing and delivering training solutions, and supporting organizational change.
- Excellent training facilitation skills
- Superior written and verbal communication with a demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and team/project management skills
- Minimum requirement of intermediate Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills.
- Training, coaching, mentoring and team leadership skills.
- Ability to execute through impact and influence vs. line authority.
- Ability to solve tough, complex and ambiguous problems.
- Demonstrated flexibility & situational leadership skills.
- Meeting facilitation and coaching skills.
- Demonstrated ability to concurrently manage multiple projects, plan and prioritize effectively.