Posted on :
19 Aug, 2016
19 Aug, 2016
The Wa Polytechnic is a public tertiary institution in the Upper West Region of Ghana. The school was founded in 1999 to provide quality tertiary education to people in the Upper West Region of Ghana. The Wa Polytechnic has three academic schools; School of Engineering, School of Applied Science and Technology and School of Business.
The Wa Polytechnic was officially established in legislation by the Government of Ghana (GoG) in 1999. Programming and construction of the school site began in 2003. Its prime mandate is to support rural development and poverty reduction in one of the most deprived regions of Ghana. It is authorized to provide tertiary education through programming in agriculture, manufacturing, commerce and applied social sciences.Establishing the Wa Polytechnic assists the Polytechnic in its effort to distinguish itself from other polytechnics in Ghana. In order to ensure its relevance to the surrounding community, the Wa Polytechnic has placed emphasis on demand-driven informal and outreach training.
The Polytechnic is a young institution with a strategic vision of becoming a world class centre for applied technology and career focused education for rural poverty reduction and national development. The polytechnic aims at developing core competencies in areas with strong bearing on the regional economy and critical national human capital development. Currently accredited to run tertiary programmes in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Building Technology, Estate Management Studies, Information and Communication Technology, Accountancy and Secretaryship and Management Studies, Wa Polytechnic is a rapidly growing institution in an exciting but challenging environment.
Job Title: Rector
The Interim Management Committee (IMC) of Wa Polytechnic invites applications from qualified persons for appointment to the position of RECTOR of the Polytechnic which becomes vacant on 1st October, 2016.
• The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Polytechnic and is accountable to the Governing Council as the academic and administrative head of the Polytechnic.
• The Rector is the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the Polytechnic, and exercises general authority over both staff and students, subject to the Polytechnics Act 745 (2007) and the Statutes of the Polytechnic.
• The Rector provides leadership in achieving the strategic objectives, the vision and mission of the Polytechnic, with the view to promoting academic and professional excellence, in line with the mandate of Polytechnic education in Ghana.
• The Rector is also responsible for the prudent Financial and Human Resource Management of the Polytechnic.
Terms of Appointment:
• The appointment will be for four (4) years in the first instance, and may be renewed for a further term of two (2) years only.
• Salary and fringe benefits attached to the post are attractive.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Must be a distinguished and internationally acclaimed scholar.
• Must have wide experience and knowledge in tertiary education.
• Must have a proven capacity to motivate, manage and direct staff.
• Must exhibit a high sense of industry, leadership qualities and organisational skills.
• Must be circumspect and above reproach.
• Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and capacity to manage and control crisis situation.
• Must be visionary, business-oriented and able to establish rapport between industry and the Polytechnic for a common purpose
• Must have the capacity to raise funds and other resources for research and other development activities of the Polytechnic from both internally and from without.
• Must have a minimum qualification of PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, Business Administration or Social Science and must have attained the minimum rank of Associate Professor.
• Must have twelve (12) years post qualification experience with wide experience and knowledge in Tertiary Education Management and Administration.
• Must be able to serve a full four (4) year Term of Office before attaining the compulsory retiring age of sixty (60).
• Must have a knack for conflict resolution and knowledge of the concept of Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR).
Location: WA, Upper West Region
How To Apply For The Job
Qualified candidates should submit applications together with the following;
• Curriculum Vitae
• Names and addresses of three (3) referees; and
• A short vision statement not exceeding five (5) pages outlining the applicant’s vision for transforming the Polytechnic’s Administration and Human Resource Management System, and also his vision on the transformation of the Polytechnic into a Technical University
Applications must be sent under registered and confidential cover and marked POSITION OF REGISTRAR not later than 15 September, 2016 to:
Search Committee For Finance Office
P.O. Box 553
Closing Date: 15 September, 2016