Posted on :
19 Aug, 2016
19 Aug, 2016
The Wa Polytechnic is a public tertiary institution in the Upper West Region of Ghana. The school was founded in 1999 to provide quality tertiary education to people in the Upper West Region of Ghana. The Wa Polytechnic has three academic schools; School of Engineering, School of Applied Science and Technology and School of Business.
The Wa Polytechnic was officially established in legislation by the Government of Ghana (GoG) in 1999. Programming and construction of the school site began in 2003. Its prime mandate is to support rural development and poverty reduction in one of the most deprived regions of Ghana. It is authorized to provide tertiary education through programming in agriculture, manufacturing, commerce and applied social sciences. The Establishing the Wa Polytechnic assists the Polytechnic in its effort to distinguish itself from other polytechnics in Ghana. In order to ensure its relevance to the surrounding community, the Wa Polytechnic has placed emphasis on demand-driven informal and outreach training.
The Polytechnic is a young institution with a strategic vision of becoming a world class centre for applied technology and career focused education for rural poverty reduction and national development. The polytechnic aims at developing core competencies in areas with strong bearing on the regional economy and critical national human capital development. Currently accredited to run tertiary programmes in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Building Technology, Estate Management Studies, Information and Communication Technology, Accountancy and Secretaryship and Management Studies, Wa Polytechnic is a rapidly growing institution in an exciting but challenging environment.
Job Title: Finance Officer
The Interim Management Committee (IMC) of Wa Polytechnic invites applications from qualified persons appointment to the position of FINANCE OFFICER of the Polytechnic which has been vacant since 1st January 2016.
• The Finance Officer is the Chief Accounting Officer of the Polytechnic responsible to the Rector for the financial administration of the Polytechnic in accordance with the Financial Administration Act, 2003. Act 654; Polytechnics Act, 2007, Act 745; Financial Administration Regulation, 2004, LI 1802 and the Polytechnic Accounting Manual.
• Responsible for managing an effective and efficient accounting and treasury system and procedures for the Polytechnic.
• Provides timely financial reports in accordance with statutory requirement.
• Provide periodic reports for Management decision and policy formulation.
• Establish appropriate financial control and procedures to guide operations of the Polytechnic’s finance function,
• Prepares and monitors the Polytechnic’s budget and controls recurrent expenditure to achieve planned financial results.
• Ensure that the Polytechnic’s tax obligations are settled in line with statutory requirements.
• Supervise the staff of the Finance and Accounts Departments.
• Management of payroll of the Polytechnic
Terms of Appointment:
• The appointment which is full time shall be for (6) years in the first instance, and may be subject to renewal for another six (6) years.
• The conditions of service and salary are very attractive.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Must be a Chartered Accountant with CA (GH) or ACCA (with six years post professional qualification experience).
• Must have a Master’s degree in Accounting Finance or any relevant area,
• Must have at least twelve (12) years of relevant post-qualification experience in a tertiary or a service industry (eight (8) years of which should be post professional experience),
• Must be proficient in the use of accounting and treasury software
• Must have the ability to prioritize tasks deadlines,
• Must possess very good leadership and skills.
• Must be knowledgeable about the ‘Procurement Act Financial Administration Act and Internal Audit Agency Act.
• Must be able to serve a full six-year term of office before attaining the compulsory retiring age of (60).
Location: WA, Upper West Region
How To Apply For The Job
Qualified candidates should submit applications together with the following;
• Curriculum Vitae
• Names and addresses of three (3) referees; and
• A short vision statement not exceeding five (5) pages outlining the applicant’s vision for transforming the Polytechnic’s Administration and Human Resource Management System, and also his vision on the transformation of the Polytechnic into a Technical University
Applications must be sent under registered and confidential cover and marked POSITION OF REGISTRAR not later than 15 September, 2016 to:
Search Committee For Finance Office
P.O. Box 553
Closing Date: 15 September, 2016