Posted on :
30 Aug, 2013
30 Aug, 2013
The Office of the UN World Food Programme, WFP – UNHRD Accra invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the following vacancy:-
Job Title: Staff Assistant
Duration: 1 year fixed Term (renewable)
Post Grade: GS-5
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Staff Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Receive, screen and log correspondence, reports, etc., and forward to the appropriate officer; maintain a log in system and follow up to ensure that replies are timely or that action is taken within the established deadline
• Screen, assess and refer telephone calls and enquires to appropriate staff; provide information on a variety of questions such as the division’s programme and activities as well as sensitive information
• Coordinate and expedite office wide responses to sensitive telephone and written enquires on behalf of the manager
• Maintain the manager’s calendar and schedule appointments and meetings and make tentative appointments on his/her behalf; brief the manager on matters to be considered prior to scheduled meetings
• Maintain and update the office’s filing and reference system including confidential files
• Identify and extract information from various sources and prepare briefing notes and/or resume for inclusion in correspondence and reports; draft various standard correspondence and review all outgoing correspondence for composition and style as well as grammatical accuracy, factual correctness, and adequacy of treatment as well as adherence to WFP procedures
• Provide procedural advice to staff on office methods and procedures, and on the use of various computer programmes and other office equipment to improve the quality and efficiency of their work
• Organize or participate in organization and preparation of staff meetings or special meetings and prepare minutes/notes for record of these meetings
• Draft moderately complex correspondence and ensure any related follow-up prepare various documentation and reports, including highly confidential letters by ensuring accuracy in spelling and layout and adherence to WFP procedures.
• Maintain attendance and leave records of staff in the office
• Perform other related duties as required.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Minimum of Secondary School Education but preferably University Degree/Higher National Diploma in Secretarial, Public Relations or in Administration or related field.
• At least two (2) years of progressively responsible support experience in the field of secretarial coupled with knowledge in general administrative work, public relations or related field. At least two years at G4 level or equivalent.
• Excellent knowledge of computer software
Fluency in both written and oral English.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants should submit their applications with 3 references including Curriculum Vitae in sealed envelopes marked “Staff Assistant Accra” and sent to the address below or hand-delivered to WFP Office, located after the Fire Service traffic light towards Flair Catering or Kumodzi Hospital:
The Human Resource Unit
UN World Food Programme
No.7, 7th Rangoon Close, Cantonments
P. O. Box 1423
Email: [email protected]
Closing Date: 08 September, 2013
• ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES MEETING THE CRITERIA WILL BE CONTACTED.
• QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY