World Vision International is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.
Job Title: Water Quality Laboratory Microbiologist
The Micro biologist will work with other laboratory team members and will be in charge of conducting Water Quality Tests to ensure safetyof samples bacteriologically. Analysis will mainly be carried out in the Tamale Water Quality Analysis Laboratory and samples will be tested from GI WASH Program and other country WASH Programs. The Microbiologist is also expected to perform on-site tests & train other field staffs to perform on-site tests using portable testing equipment depending on the need.
- The position is based in Tamale
- S/He reports to the Water Quality Laboratory Manager
- Develop and maintain validation in all protocols for various controls and activities.
- Perform micro-biological examinations of water samples, through the observation, identification, and classification of micro-organisms.
- Interpret data and present findings to supervisor. Maintain accurate data, records and reports and submit appropriate records and reports on a regular basis as required by the organization.
- Prepare standards from concentrates, solutions, culture medial and quality control samples and ensures that laboratory apparatus and supplies are sterile. Maintain and operates laboratory equipment for routine and special water analyses.
- Carry out environmental audit of the laboratory on regular basis.
- Operate and perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment including: incubators, hoods, autoclaves, oven, microscopes, specific ion meter, conductivity meters, turbidity meters, titrators, pH meters, analytical balances.
- Maintain accurate records and perform tests on all activities conducted in laboratory.
- Conduct all required performance evaluation to maintain certification with state and international regulatory agencies.
- Maintain standards of safety and comply with World Vision’s Health, Safety and environment and management system requirements.
- Take reasonable care of own health and safety and that of others in the workplace.
- Perform field work assignments that are pertinent to the water quality improvement aspects of the World Vision WASH goals.
- Follow and maintain World Vision’s standards of Quality in accordance with the organization’s Quality System requirements.
Required Skills or Experience
- Degree in Biology (microbiology/applied biology), biochemistry or public health
- Five years working experience in the WASH sector and good understanding of industry standards and trends with a minimum of 2 years work experience in water microbiology
- Knowledge of micro-analysis of water, membrane filtration and/or any cultivation methods
- Most probable number method
- Awareness of pathogenic micro-organisms including coliform bacteria
- ISO 17025 training
- Water quality monitoring and assessment.
- Project development.
- Introductory Geology
- Fluent in English Language
- The preferred candidate must be a committed Christian
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria should please get the details of the Jobs from World Vision Website: http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-ghana
- The deadline for submission of application July 3, 2016.
- As a Child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children.
- All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
- World Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.