Posted on :
10 Jun, 2016
10 Jun, 2016
Worldreader (www.worldreader.org) is on a mission to bring digital books to every child and her family, so that they can improve their lives through the power of technology. Globally, we are working in 39 countries, in 102 schools and libraries and are reaching a total of 35,000 people on our programs using e-readers, and over 300,000 people using our mobile reading app.
To accomplish our goals, Worldreader has created a worldwide logistics system, to provide literacy training and support, co-publish books with African and US publishers, measure our results obsessively, report on our progress, and raise money and awareness for our mission. We have a worldwide team of 50+ staff and volunteers across seven countries and three continents who have graduated from the world’s best schools, companies, and non-profits and have accomplished the nearly impossible.
An ethos of working hard, having fun and making history inspires our culture, and the team shares a passion for reading and philanthropy.
We aspire to reach millions of children and families worldwide, in our quest to eradicate illiteracy. We believe that by hiring people larger than we are, we will end up with an organization of Giants. And that’s why we’re looking for a world-class Senior Human Resources Manager dedicated to developing and supporting our team and building our HR infrastructure worldwide.
Job Title: E-Reading Field Officers
Worldreader is on a mission to bring digital books to every child and his/her family, so that they can improve their lives through the power of technology. Globally, we are working in 85 countries, reaching over 18 million people through our e-reading and mobile programs. In Ghana, we have several projects going in schools and libraries.
The Ghana E-Reading Field Officers will assist in the ongoing school-based support and monitoring of Worldreader’s digital reading projects in Ashanti, Central and Eastern regions. Ghana. This person will be based in a location within close proximity to project schools in specific regions in Ghana, such as Region 1, Region 2 and Region 3. These Field Officers will report directly to the E-Reading Program Implementation Manager based in Accra.
The Ghana E-Reading Field Officers will be responsible for the following illustrative activities:
• School-based support, including support in troubleshooting devices, reloading books, and collecting data from surveys, assessments and overall project progress;
• Planning and coordination of monitoring and field activities in conjunction with the E-Reading Program Implementation Manager, including managing device inventory and device roll-out;
• Liaising with the District Education Offices to gather information and general coordination;
• On-going data collection and analysis, including data cleaning and input;
• Working with schools to organize and plan after school reading activities including vacation reading school.
• Writing frequent reports on school visits and overall progress, including writing success stories to illustrative results.
• Support work to ensure data storage systems, records and files are set up, maintained and updated;
• Support training for staff, enumerators and partners as required on data collection and monitoring as required;
• Support planning, logistics and coordination of Worldreader staff and consultants visit as needed; and
• Other project management duties as needed.
Qualification Required & Experience
We are looking for a professional with a background in education, technology and/or monitoring and evaluation. This person should have a high degree of professional maturity, self-motivation and adaptability. The ideal candidate possesses the following:
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
• 3-5 years of experience in working with development and/or education projects, or leading monitoring efforts for a similar organization.
• Demonstrated experience with data collection and analysis and/or working closely with schools.
• High level of comfort with technology (mobile phones, tablets & e-readers);
• Background in ICT for education and/or willingness and capacity to learn is highly preferred.
• Strong oral and written communications skills with a strong willingness and ability to communicate across time zones and cultures, and demonstrated experience writing multiple reports in English.
• Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and productivity/communication tools such as Skype and email.
• Structured and organized thinker.
Ability to live within close proximity to project schools.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-cultural settings, including working with remote teams
• Ability to work both individually and closely with teams
• Good rapport with children and young adults
• Flexibility and a “get the job done” attitude.
• Demonstrable passion for education and the mission of Worldreader
All candidates must be legally eligible to work in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
Please follow the instructions carefully.
To Apply – Please send your resume and application letter in an email with the subject “Worldreader E-Reading Field Officer” to:
Closing Date: 01 September, 2016
• PDFs only and no phone calls, please.
• If shortlisted, you will be invited to an interview, where you will also be asked to complete a series of tasks on an e-reader and a data analysis skills test. Due to the volume of applications, only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
• This job description only serves as a guide for the position available. Worldreader reserves the to adapt or amend the position as required by the project.