Posted on :
15 Sep, 2016
15 Sep, 2016
Established in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO which is at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realise a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. Visit www.yesghana.org for more information.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana is leading on the delivery of an integrated Entrepreneurial, Financial Literacy and Life Skills training curriculum for youth participants enrolled on the programme.
Job Title: Training Assistant
YES-Ghana is seeking Training Assistants to provide support to a team of lead Trainers in Kumasi and its environs, who will deliver a curriculum of activities to groups of young people enrolled on the programme. The Assistants will help Trainers to prepare and deliver all activities, provide support during group work and offer help to youth participants as they work through independent tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare training materials before each session starts (making photocopies, setting out materials, pens and paper on tables, writing instructions on flipcharts).
• Ensure that all training equipment is available and set up ready for the lead Trainer to start activities (such as a projector screen).
• Arrange classrooms and outdoor training spaces ready for group activities.
• Help participants to start and work through tasks set by the lead Trainer (individuals or small groups).
• Repeat and provide clear explanations of trainer instructions for participants who are unclear.
• Occasionally facilitate group activities with support from the lead Trainer.
• Support the lead Trainer with managing behaviour during session delivery.
• Reinforce the Training Code of Conduct to participants when necessary.
• Encourage participants to remain engaged in the activities and tasks set.
• With the help of the Trainer, administer participants’ attendance registers and any other records that youth participants may be required to provide.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Some experience volunteering with youth groups, either as a youth leader in your community or as a youth participant (at school, a church group, a local community centre).
• Some experience of supporting in the delivery of classroom-based activities would be a plus.
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Fluency in English and Twi.
• Ability to work well independently and to use initiative.
• Confident speaking to groups of young people.
• Highly organised with good time management skills.
• A flexible approach– the ability to work at evenings and weekends is a must.
• Interest in working with youth in Ghana.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles, including strict adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
• Willingness to travel within Kumasi and its adjourning communities.
• Only candidates who reside in or around KUMASI and are willing to travel to and fro all its surrounding communities will be considered for this role.
• Candidates must have no criminal record particularly in relation to the abuse of children and youth. Background checks will be conducted.
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and a recent brief CV bearing your contact details and two references to
Please use TRAINING ASSISTANT – KUMASI as the subject line of the email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 02 October, 2016