The Ghana YMCA is a registered NGO and exists to enhance the mind, body and spirit of young people in Ghana for the holistic transformation of their communities, Nation and the African continent.
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
The Ghana YMCA seeks to recruit a Programmes Secretary to design and implement innovative youth development and empowerment programmes in Ghana.
The Programmes Secretary will report to the National General Secretary of Ghana YMCA and will provide leadership, strategic direction and be responsible for resource mobilisation, effective coordination, management and implementation of programmes nationally.
1. Technical Management:
- Oversight and management of technical projects including planning, implementation, undertake field visits, and reporting
- Develop project proposals, create budgets and planning for new activities
- Liaise with donors and potential funders to identify and pursue potential programme and funding opportunities
- Coordinate project activities with activities of governmental agencies
2. Reporting and Representation:
- Primary programme representative to donors, relevant government entities, partners, and other implementation and stakeholders
- Responsible for narrative programmatic reports, in line with grant agreements
- Responsible for submission of quarterly status reports on all projects countrywide for the information of the National General Secretary
- Impact documentation of projects and programmes countrywide, with focus on analysis and dissemination of lessons learnt and best practice models
- Support strengthening of communication strategy to make YMCA more visible to development actors in the country especially through project and programme brochures, case studies and press releases
3. Team Management:
- Responsible for recruitment and supervision of key project staff, interns, students on attachment, and other short-term programme consultants
- Responsible for team building project staff at national and regional level, conduct performance appraisal in line with operational procedures
- Assure proper budget follow up for all funded project activities, monitor budget allocation is correct and respect proposal grant guidelines
- Ensure all projects follow financial and administrative procedures of the Ghana YMCA
- Prepare regular financial expenditure reports, in consultation with the Finance Department
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelors Degree from a credible university in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Social Work, Development Planning, Community Development or a related field. Ability to speak French would be an added advantage but not a requirement
- 3 – 5 years professional experience at project management level with a youth serving organisation, national NGO, or governmental agency
- Result oriented with demonstrated ability to manage a team and work independently
- Proven ability in programme management, including planning, implementation, community mobilisation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent communication skills oral, written and presentation skills and demonstrate ability to meet strict and high quality implementation and reporting deadlines
- Willingness to travel within Ghana and internationally
- Computer literate
How To Apply
Applications with a cover letter, up-to-date 4-page CV with names of 3 referees and day time telephone contact and working email address, copies of relevant documents should be sent by email to: [email protected] by 5:00 pm on Thursday, 18th August 2011. Late applications will not be considered. Interviews will be conducted by the fourth week of August 2011.