Posted on :
17 Feb, 2017
17 Feb, 2017
The International Health Division of Abt Associates Inc. is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Job Title: Project Assistant / Entomology Assistant (2 Positions)
Duration: 1 year with a possibility of extension
Number of vacancies: 2
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Project Assistant / Entomology Assistant, to support the International Health Division in Ghana implementing the USAID-funded President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) AIRS (Africa Indoor Residual Spraying 2) Project.
The USAID-funded PMI AIRS Project supports the PMI, as well as USAID Missions and Bureaus with malaria programs outside the PMI focus countries, in planning and implementing IRS programs with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria in Africa by enhancing USAID’s ability to implement IRS programs on the ground through cost-effective commodities procurement and logistics systems, access to technical expertise, and implementation of IRS in countries affected by malaria.
Under supervision of the Entomological Coordinator, the Project Assistant/Entomology Assistant is expected to support the PMI AIRS Ghana Operational Research projects and field activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
• Supporting one or more Technical Specialists and/or the Project Director in carrying out technical project work.
• Conducting field studies and laboratory research projects in relation to the operational research protocols.
• Ensuring that all data from all field data collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identifications, and undertake data analysis and prepare progress reports.
• Working closely with projects staff, field technicians and other research assistants assigned to the research.
• Performing other project related duties assigned to him by his supervisor
Qualification Required & Experience
• 3+ Years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred skills / Prerequisites
• Bachelor’s Degree and above in Entomology, Biology, Biological Science or other relevant field.
• Three (3) years of relevant professional experience in the implementation of vector control and entomological monitoring activities.
• General experience as field biologist working with research projects in health or natural resource disciplines
• Experience with malaria entomology/applied entomology research methods for laboratory and field studies.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, adhere to strict protocols, keep accurate records, and comply with company policies.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude
• Strong management and planning skills of project tasks.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and attention to detail
• Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• English language fluency
• Experience in international development programs, preferably at USAID-funded programs or other international development experience will be an advantage.
How To Apply For The Job
Send Application letters and CV’s to:
Closing Date: 24 February, 2017
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.