Posted on :
3 Oct, 2013
3 Oct, 2013
ActionAid (AA) is a global movement of people working together to further human rights for all and end poverty. ActionAid Ghana (AAG), an Affiliate of ActionAid is looking to employ an experienced and self- motivated individual to fill the position of a Country Director.
The Country Director (CD) provides vision, leadership, motivation, and drive in management and effective high-level national representation for ActionAid Ghana in line with established policies, principles and operating practices of ActionAid International, good management practice and the political, social, cultural and economic environment of the country.
The CD role requires broad organizational experience, thus enabling the post-holder to manage large teams, as well as deep knowledge across a professional discipline in development that enables the post-holder to make significant contribution to processes that lead to long-term success of ActionAid Ghana.
• Work with the National Board and General Assembly in ensuring the organization is operating within AAG policies which are aligned with good practices of governance, AAI governance policies and the Ghanaian legal context.
• Development and implementation of Country Strategic Papers.
• Influence decisions of stakeholders that are outside her/his direct sphere of authority to promote AAG programmes.
• Represent ActionAid Ghana and ActionAid International in a variety of fora and maintain external relationships within a diverse range of stakeholders.
Deepen AAG’s vision, mission, philosophy and principles in implementing AAG programmes in line with agreed corporate strategies and organizational priorities.
• Lead and direct the work of AAG in accordance with sound management practices and ActionAid’s development policies and accountability systems
• Create a dynamic atmosphere to retain and build loyal team of workers.
• Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for all kinds of emergencies.
• Establish and develop working relationships with key donors and actively develop local funding sources appropriate to AAG’s resource needs.
Qualification Required & Experience
The candidate must hold a post graduate degree in social sciences, development studies or a development related field and at least 10 years proven track record with a minimum of 5 years in a top management position in development work or poverty alleviation programmes with proven initiative, flexibility and enthusiasm in managing complex activities in a changing environment.
• Demonstrated top management expertise, including proven ability to develop the capacities of multi-disciplinary professional teams undertaking comprehensive poverty alleviation strategies.
• Proven experience in managing complex financial control and management systems.
• Demonstrated expertise in strategic and long term planning and implementation with the ability to ensure that operational plans and activities meet targets and appropriately reflect longer term perspectives. .
• Proven experience of working and negotiating with Government officials and/or donors at all levels.
• Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialist development field.
• Excellent negotiation and communication skills.
• Proficiency in English and fluency of local language is an advantage to the role.
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Strong analytical/problem solving, and crisis, conflict and risk management skills.
• Excellent fundraising skills
• Proven track record in contract management from bilateral and multilateral donors.
• This is a five (5) year employment contract, renewable for a further three (3) years.
• It is governed by AAG’s terms and conditions of employment.
• The role involves frequent travel within and outside Ghana.
Salary: Annual Base Salary Range – GHS 156,000 – 187,560
How To Apply For The Job
Application Forms MUST be downloaded and submitted as below.
Curriculum Vitae (CVs) are NOT acceptable.
Completed Application Forms should be emailed to:-
or forwarded to:
The Human Resource Manager
P. O. Box AN 19083,
Tel: + 233 244 316 392 / +233 28 910 9560
Closing Date: 18 October, 2013
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted and invited for assessment by Tuesday, 19th November, 2013.
“ActionAid Ghana is an equal opportunities employer. Whilst all applicants will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.”