Posted on :
20 Jun, 2014
20 Jun, 2014
UNFPA, United Nations Population Fund, in the world’s largest international source of funding for population and reproductive health programmes. UNFPA works with governments and non-governmental organizations in over 140 countries in all matters related to the reproductive system. Reproductive health is recognized as a human right, part of the right to health. UNFPA assists countries to formulate population policies and strategies in support of sustainable development.
Under the overall supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Administrative Assistant/Secretary provides overall administrative and secretarial support to the entire Tamale Decentralised Office (DO). He/she develops, implements and maintains administrative processes and systems including the registry, record keeping, travel logistics, meetings, and internal communications.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Provides administrative and secretarial support to the operations unit in partuculare and the country office in general
• Screens and logs incoming correspondence ans distributes to the relevantstaff. Reviews correspondence and follows up on urgent and important responses. Drafts responses to correspondences when appropriate.
• Draft and types routine correspondence, reports, briefs, and other documentation
• Maintains a central filing system for the operations unit in accordance with established classification systems. Files all correspondence in the operations unit. Updates inventory of files in the CO and informs staff members accordingly
• Makes use of relevant automated office management systems for effective functioning of the programme unit
• Prepares all out going correspondence for dispatch and monitors their deliveries
Operations Unit Support
• Supports operational processes and procedure of the CO to facilitate programme delivery. Provides support to the operations unit by coordinating and monitoring relevant business processes, procedures and activities; paying attention to detail and adhering to deadlines
• Coordinates all travel related arrangements; including travel authorizations, security clearances, processing of relevant payments,booking of tickets and hotels, obtainment of visas, registration and hotel booking at destination, arranging transportation, preparing semi-annual and annual travel reports, and other related tasks.
• Develops tools and mechanisms for effective and efficient monitoring of travel plans and budgets coordinates the compilation of administrative and financial data in relation to travel, and provides accurate and updated information to the Operation Manager on a continous basis.
• Coordinates logistics and management of the schedule for incoming missions and international meetings hosted by UNFPA Ghana, including the processing of VIP arrangements for high- level officials, and managing protocol requirements.
• Organizes and provides logistical support to meetings, conferences and workshops for the operations, unit; initiates and coordiantes the preparation of the agenda and necessary documentation; and provides secretarial support during the meetings, conferences and workshops ( such as minute taking)
• Assists with the procurement of office supplies; including fufilling the ‘buyer’ function in Atlas, obtaining quotes for services, and supporting procurement evaluation committees. Assists in the receipt and checking of procurements.
• Raises requisitions for office supplies and equipment and maintains an up-to-date stock inventory file for the country office stationery and supplies
• Assists with clearing and other port activities.
• Makes minor repairs to offfice equipment (where appropriate)
• Provides localised IT support where appropriate
People Management & Leadership:
• Coached new staff on day-to-day administrative procedures in the operations unit
• Monitors operations staff attendance; and ensures the timely communication staff abscence in the office to management
• Participates in Learning Afternoon sessions
• Exchanges relevant information and maintains an open line of communication with colleagues and his/her supervisor
• Actively participates in CO and operations unit team meetings
• Supervisors the cleanors
• When appropriate, undertakes other releted duties assigned by the supervisor and/or Represesntative
Qualification Required & Experience
• Business acumen
• Implementing management systems
• Client orientation
• Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
• Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and Self-management
• Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
• Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
• Diploma or equivalent in secretarial studies, administration or any other relevant field
• Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in a similar position in a public or private sector organisation
• Knowledge of the United Nations systems and procedures would be an advantage
Language: Fluency in oral and written English
• Expertise in current office software applications
• Proficiency in PeopleSoft, and other computerized applications used by the UN
How To Apply For The Job
Applications and interest letter to be addressed to the Representative at:
Closing Date: 20 June, 2014
Completion of the United Nations Personal History Form (P11) is mandatory, no resume is required. Interest Letter to indication position applied form. Download form at http://ghana.unfpa.org/index.php