Due to our strong pipeline of projects we may have an opening for an experienced Construction Inspector – Marine Works. The role would be based in Tema, Ghana. We expect to mobilise in April/May 2018.
Job Title: Construction Inspector – Marine Works
If you would like to be the first one to hear about this opportunity when it will arise, submit an expression of interest now and let’s stay in touch.
The Construction Inspector (CI) will assist in the supervision of the Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC) marine works contractor for the delivery of a breakwater; mooring and berthing structures; and dredging.
The CI plays a key monitoring role in the Marine Works to ensure compliance with approved method statements (including safety, security, health, environment and quality components) and approved shop drawings and technical specifications. The CI assists in the monitoring of all the works of the EPC marine works contractor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The CI is responsible for actively coordinating and addressing issues on site either personally or through collaboration with others.
The CI’s duties will include, but will not be limited to, taking particular responsibility for:
- Assisting the RE with the review of EPC contractor’s method statements (including safety, security, health, and environment and quality components.)
- Assisting the RE to review the EPC contractor’s environmental monitoring plans for conformance with contract requirements.
- Administering the Inspection Request process, ensuring requests are processed and inspections properly documented within pre-defined timescales.
- Assisting the RE in assessing the contractor’s progress against programme
- Assisting the RE in developing and maintaining a proactive safety culture and incorporate safety observations into daily works inspection activity
- Monitoring the work of the EPC contractor for conformance with the contract requirements including health, safety, security, environment and quality – this infers a broad surveillance role beyond undertaking inspections on request. This duty includes verifying use of current/approved versions of construction documents (method statements, inspection and testing plans, shop drawings, etc.)
- Develop and maintain tracking systems to keep track of all inspections, document approvals and inspection data.
- Providing the RE with prompt and accurate data and/or opinions on all materials testing and quality control issues
- Implementing the project’s record-keeping systems including compilation of as-built records
- Ensuring regular checking of the calibration, accuracy and operation of batching equipment, mixing equipment and testing equipment on site
- Inspecting quarries and other sources of naturally-occurring materials that are supplying materials for incorporation in the works. Develop and maintain systems to monitor the testing and haulage of the materials
- Liaison with RE and HSSE officer to review the EPC contractor’s traffic management plans for haulage of materials to the project site
- Reporting and contributing to reports
- Keeping a daily diary to record important events
- Attending site meetings
- Preparing and verifying the accuracy of periodic (weekly, monthly) and ad hoc reports and project metrics
- Implementing the project quality procedures
- Experience working for a consultant is required (3 years minimum)
- Experience in supervision of marine works (e.g. dredging, marine foundations, breakwaters) is required (3 years minimum.)
- Experience working for a contractor is an advantage
Specific Skills Required:
- Preparation of technical reports
- Supervision of civil construction
- Reading and interpreting plans and specifications
- Reading and interpreting time schedules for construction
- Focused on project delivery – attention to detail and quality with a capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Sound interpersonal skills and team ethics including professional communication with the staff of the contractor
- Eligibility to work in Ghana due to nationality is a requirement.
- Minimum BSc or BTech in an engineering discipline
- Member of professional organisation.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.