Due to our strong pipeline of projects we may have an opening for an experienced Health, Safety, Security & Environment Officer . The role would be based in Tema, Ghana. We expect to mobilise in April/May 2018.
Job Title: Health, Safety, Security & Environment Officer
If you would like to be the first one to hear about this opportunity when it will arise, submit an expression of interest now and let’s stay in touch.
The Health, Safety, Security and Environment Officer (HSSEO) is responsible for collaborating with and advising the Resident Engineer and construction supervision team in monitoring and supporting the EPC contractor’s implementation of HSSE processes, procedures and reporting. Implementation of AECOM standard systems for Health & Safety on construction sites will form the basis of the work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The HSSEO will be responsible for:
- Driving an overall strategy that assists in the implementation of HSSE practices conforming with contract requirements.
- Developing, reviewing and implementing a system of HSSE auditing of the EPC contractor’s plans, procedures, practices and reporting to assess conformance with contract requirements.
- Developing and implementing project-specific systems for internal HSSE practices conforming to company policies and guidelines.
- Contributing HSSE incident reports, data and analysis to monthly reports.
- Using AECOM notification systems for incident reporting in accordance with corporate and project-specific procedures.
- Reviewing and advising on the EPC contractor’s method statements and risk assessments.
- Conducting internal staff training as required.
- Advising the Resident Engineer on HSSE matters as may arise.
- Championing the reporting of near-misses and incidents.
- Assisting the EPC contractor in accurate and clear reporting on HSSE.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in HSSE discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a supervisory position overseeing HSSE teams.
- Minimum 3 years of experience on construction site employed either by consultant or construction contractor
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the employ of an engineering consulting firm
- Experience in marine works and projects working over water with floating plant is an advantage
Specific Skills Required:
- Communication skills – explaining hazards and means of treatment to consultant and contractor staff
- Skill in maintaining HSSE statistics
- Skill in writing assessment reports of incidents
- Persistent throughout the project duration to achieve continual improvement –
- Attention to detail and quality with a capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Empathy towards staff and colleagues – collaborative leadership style
- Approachable – personal style and manner that encourages consultant staff and EPC contractor staff to ask questions and discuss HSSE matters
- Eligibility to work in Ghana due to nationality is a requirement
- Experience working in HSSE within AECOM is an advantage
- Minimum BTech in a related field, e.g. engineering, public health, health science, occupational safety, occupational health science)
- IRCA: Lead Auditor OHSAS 18001
- Member of professional organisation in HSS
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.