AEL Mining Services is a leading developer, producer, and supplier of commercial explosives, initiating systems and blasting services for mining, quarrying and construction markets in Africa and beyond. AEL Mining Services is a Division of AECI Ghana Limited, and a subsidiary of AECI Limited, listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Job Title: Operations And Engineering Manager
Purpose of Job
To co-ordinate and manage the operations and deployment of the company’s manufacturing assets and manage operational support services including SHE, Quality, Production and Engineering functions and ensure the safe, efficient and cost-effective utilization of the assets.
- Manage the Operational Excellence Systems, which includes the SHE function and implementing the standards as set out in the AEL SHE procedures and provide leadership in changing/ maintaining the AEL culture in all the company’s activities.
- Contribute to the company’s overall strategic thinking and decision making, manage and develop support services strategies to meet the company’s objectives and vision.
- Develop and implement an effective maintenance management system through scheduling and development of resources in conformance with world-class standards
- Develop subordinates through coaching, motivation and gaining their commitment towards achievement of company objectives and vision.
- Ensure that engineering support services add value to the organization and that they are of the highest quality.
- Ensure the safe delivery of product quality and quantity to meet the requirements of the Sales an Operating Plan
- Co-ordinate all manufacturing, support functions, and systems
- Contribute towards the Business to deliver profitable products meeting customer requirements and continuous improvements in safety, productivity, and quality
- Ensure AEL’s “Licence to Operate” is maintained thorough legal and Company Standard Compliance
- Ensure the service contracts and interfaces between the division and the central support functions of AEL is effective and efficient
- Formulate a divisional Fixed Cost spend strategy to be in line with the business strategy
- Forecast annual capital and operational expenses in line with corporate policy.
- Manage Working capital in accordance with financial viability.
- Interface with functional heads within the AEL family in areas of own responsibility. Hence, a high level of skills at interpersonal relationships combined with adequate knowledge of the Company’s operations and its implications on the business is required.
- Play a key role in change management in the Company. The motivation of a large workforce and influencing of company policy and decision-making processes are also integral to the job. The ability to interact positively with others and work in a team is essential.
- The incumbent is the Management Representative on matters relating to the quality system implementation in the whole organization.
Required Skills or Experience
- A technical qualification (HND or Degree) preferably in Mechanical or Mining Engineering combined with a minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience, preferably in explosives manufacturing and mobile equipment is essential.
- Must have 1-year experience as a Legal Appointment
- Must have a minimum of Engineering Superintendent Certificate of Competency or its equivalent from the Minerals Commission of Ghana
- A degree in business administration would be an added advantage.
- Intimate knowledge of the applicable acts pertaining to the required job output is essential
Specific experience required
- The incumbent must have knowledge of the Open-pit/ Surface mining markets
- The ability to interact with customers at all operational and management levels is key
- The incumbent must have good project & people management skills. Project & People Management (coaching and mentoring) is one of the strategic drivers in the business and enjoys a lot of attention
- Previous appropriate experience in an explosives environment is essential
- Knowledge of critical pumps, hydraulics and PLCs useful
- Sense of urgency
- Be able to work under pressure
- Good written and oral communications skills with all levels in the organization
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Team player
- Follow-up on actions for completion
- Work independently and on own initiative
- Living the AECI Values
How to Apply
Forward applications to: [email protected]
AEL is committed to enabling individuals, previously disadvantaged by discriminatory practices to gain full and equal access to opportunities appropriate to their competency and potential