Posted on :
4 May, 2023
4 May, 2023
This position is located in the Africa Trade Policy Centre (ATPC), Regional Integration and Trade Division (RITD), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Addis Ababa. The incumbent will work under the general guidance of the Director of the Regional Integration and Trade Division and direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Centre.
Job Title: Economic Affairs Officer
• Under the general guidance of the Director of the Division, and the direct supervision of the Coordinator of ATPC and within delegated authority, the incumbent will carry out the following functions:
Economic or sector analysis
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provides insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Conducts technical studies and prepares technical and policy papers on African and global trade policy and the economic and social implications for Africa, with a focus on inclusivity in trade, trade facilitation and Aid for Trade, in addition to the Boosting Intra-African Trade initiative, EU-Africa trade, and other areas as required.
• Contributes to the analysis of global and regional trends in trade and their impact on regional integration and Africa’s development agenda.
• Interprets, applies and, as necessary, adapts econometric models to determine trends, patterns and relationships and analyses the effects of alternative policies and assumptions.
• Drafts specialized inputs for technical papers and analytical studies on selected global, regional, national or sectoral aspects of economic development.
• Identifies and analyses policy proposals made elsewhere relating to assigned topics.
• Attends international, regional, and national meetings to collect information and to hold discussions with colleagues in other institutions.
• Provides technical assistance and advisory services to the African RECs, member States and relevant institutions.
• Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on development issues.
• Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
• Prepares inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies.
• Follows intergovernmental meetings and prepares summary reports.
• Prepares inputs to statements by members of the Bureau and Secretariat staff to such meetings.
• Assists in the organization of panels, round tables etc. on development issues for intergovernmental processes.
• Serves as the focal point for the ATPC technical cooperation on inclusivity in trade, trade facilitation and Aid for Trade, in addition to the Boosting Intra-African Trade initiative, EU-Africa trade, and other areas as required.
• Contributes to technical assistance provided by ATPC to member States for the effective implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area.
• In the assigned areas of responsibility, builds new and deepens existing collaborations with a variety of bodies such as the United Nations Organizations, African Union Commission, African Development Bank, RECs, other multilateral and bilateral development partners, foundations, the private sector, NGOs and civil society at large.
• Participates in missions on development issues, usually as a member of a team.
• Organizes training seminars for national experts.
• Prepares documentation for technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Contributes to the preparation of material for the approval of regional, country or sector technical cooperation projects.
• Monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit’s services.
• Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
• Professionalism: The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Ability to apply economic theories, concepts and methods in different sectors of economic and sustainable development. Ability to conduct independent research on economic topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Shows skill in developing sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics or related field.
• A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
• A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area is required.
• Experience in the area of trade policy, inclusivity and trade, and trade facilitation is required.
• Experience in the area of African regional integration is essential while experience in international trade negotiations is desirable.
• Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Closing Date: 05 May, 2023