The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET), an economic policy institute based in Accra, Ghana, seeks to fill the newly created position of Associate Director.
Africa’s economic transformation requires ambitious and innovative approaches to development strategy and economic policy. ACET provides high-quality research, policy analysis, and advice to African policymakers and economic actors to help meet this challenge.
Job Title: Associate Director – Office of the President
Reporting directly to the President, the Associate Director will fill a cross-departmental role within the organization to help conceptualize, coordinate, and manage a wide range of services and activities. Acting as the Chief of Staff for the Office of the President, the Associate Director will work closely with the President in all facets of his leadership of the organization, both in strategic and collaborative functions as well as in the communication and coordination of the work of others reporting directly to the President. The Associate Director also will play a key advisory role in organizational operations, supporting the implementation at the country level of all aspects of ACET’s integrated program where analysis, advice, and advocacy go hand in hand in supporting Africa’s long-term growth and economic transformation.
Areas of Responsibility
More specifically, she/he will:
Provide strategic support and leadership.
- Work in direct daily contact with the President to develop a thorough understanding
- of the organization’s priorities, challenges, and demands, for both the long-term
- vision and day-to-day operations.
- Work with the President and other members of senior leadership to identify and
- prioritize initiatives and programs that support ACET’s role as an intellectual leader.
- Offer strategic advice and contribute to partnership development critical to the
- organization’s success, especially with the African Union, the Economic Commission
- for Africa, the African Development Bank, and other regional organizations.
Advise and support program operations.
- Collaborate closely with the Senior Director, Research and Policy Engagements, in his responsibilities.
- Advise in the implementation of policy actions by African governments and other stakeholders in ACET’s core areas of focus, namely: youth, employment and skills; regional integration; agricultural transformation; private sector development; and economic management and public finance.
Coordinate and manage executive engagements.
- Serve as primary point of contact for information gathering from across all
- organizational departments and other members of the senior management team.
- Coordinate among staff the preparation of briefing materials, background notes,
- talking points, etc., that the President may require for meetings or events.
- Oversee preparation of formal presentations as needed to convey complex
- initiatives; assist with written communications and outreach as needed.
- Serve as rapporteur for management meetings and ensure the timely follow up and
- compliance to agreed decisions and actions.
- Supervise the duties of the Special Assistant to the President.
The preferred candidate will meet the following criteria:
Education and Experience
- Masters degree in economics, business administration, or related field.
- 8-10 years of professional experience, with at least 3+ at the executive level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The demonstrated ability to communicate and interact with senior management and executive leadership in a timely and effective manner.
- Experience in operations, project development and management, and institutional development, preferably within a non-profit and/or African environment.
- The demonstrated ability to self-motivate, think strategically and work collaboratively across departments.
- A deep understanding of economic and social development policy in Africa, particularly in relation to the economic transformation agenda.
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and entrepreneurial attitude.
- The ability to self-motivate, multitask, and manage people and projects as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Proficiency in both English and French is desirable. The Associate Director will be based full time in Accra. Periodic travel will be required.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position and have the requisite experience, knowledge and skills detailed above, please send us your CV with an accompanying cover letter telling us why you believe you are best suited for this position.
Kindly address your application to the HR Manager at [email protected].
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date : 17th April, 2020