Posted on :
11 Sep, 2018
11 Sep, 2018
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
Job Title: Division Manager, Quality Assurance Division
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Located within the Senior Vice-Presidency Complex, the Operations Committee and Quality Assurance Department works to continuously enhance the quality and timely delivery of Bank operations. The Department coordinates and supports the Bank’s global efforts towards sharpening the country focus, strategic selectivity and quality of the Bank’s operations.
The Quality Assurance Division is the operational support unit of the African Development Bank that focuses on enhancing and mainstreaming the quality and results focus of the Bank’s strategies and operations. More specifically, the Division (i) sets quality standards for the Bank’s interventions; (ii) develops and strengthens tools and processes throughout the operational cycles; and (iii) enhances staff capacities and facilitating operational knowledge.
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Division Manager will set the strategic and operational directions for corporate quality assurance and quality control functions. It will require leadership and coordination skills for the successful implementation of the Bank’s quality assurance and results agenda. She/he will also lead efforts to capture and disseminate operational knowledge across Bank departments and more broadly among MDBs and the international development community.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Division Manager will perform the following:
Strategic Planning and Management functions:
· Plan, organize and coordinate the activities of the division in support of the Bank’s strategic mandate.
· Regularly report to Senior Management on the status of the Bank’s Quality Assurance Agenda.
· Supervise the development of the strategy, work programme, budget and key performance indicators of the Division.
· Supervise, support and coach staff performing Quality Assurance related functions.
· Generate commitment, motivation, teambuilding in the division and interdepartmental working groups.
· Develop staff work programs, oversee their execution in a timely manner and manage individual performance.
Quality Management functions:
· Lead cross-cutting initiatives and manage interdepartmental working groups to develop and mainstream operational quality standards and performance assessment methods throughout the operational lifecycle.
· Oversee the development, review and update of quality-at-entry (QaE) standards for public sector operations, private sector operations and country strategies.
· Oversee the development and sound application of operational rating methods based on evidence and focused on results.
· Provide guidance for the development of quality assurance and results tools applicable to individual interventions, country strategies and operational portfolios (Logical frameworks and results matrices, checklists, templates for supervision and completion reporting, etc.)
· Liaise with Directors Generals in the regions and operational departments to set up appropriate mechanisms to asses and enhance the quality and results focus of operational reports, country strategies and portfolio reviews.
· Act as custodian of the Bank’s quality standards and results tools, and oversee the establishment procedures and mechanisms for controlling good compliance and effective use (readiness reviews, quality assurance dashboard, etc.)
· Provide guidance on the integration of quality standards and results reporting tools in the formulation of operational guidelines, policies and business processes.
· Collaborate with concerned department heads and advise senior management on matters related to operational policies, strategies, guidelines and business processes.
Operational Knowledge functions:
· Oversee the processes for mainstreaming Bank quality standards and results tools through staff training, on-line learning, on-the-job coaching, regular Quality Assurance clinics, helpdesk, etc.
· Lead the production and promote the sharing and dissemination of selected knowledge products – self-evaluation thematic studies, staff guidance, good practice notes, lessons learnt etc. – to enhance the quality and effectiveness of Bank operations and country strategies.
· Collaborate with counterparts in MDBs and other agencies to facilitate and advocate the development of best operational practices within the Bank and externally.
· Represent the Bank in external forums, inter-agency working groups, and high-level events on quality assurance, results and evaluation.
· Publish regularly on quality assurance and results in a changing development landscape.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
· At least a Master’s degree in economics, development studies, management or a related discipline.
· A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in various departments, with at least 3years in a supervisory capacity in the area of quality assurance and results management.
· In-depth understanding of quality assurance, results based approaches and self-evaluation mechanisms in Multilateral Development Banks.
· Experience in managing change processes in large and complex organizations
· Strong capacity to innovate, to anticipate issues, to address problems and propose creative and appropriate solutions.
· Solid organizational and coordination skills required to manage resources and work programmes.
· Demonstrate strong knowledge and practice of operational policies, procedures, and review processes of Multilateral Development Banks or other development agencies.
· High-level negotiation skills combined with the ability to build partnership with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
· Excellent listening skills and cultural sensitivity with a clear commitment to diversity.
· Strong leadership, mentoring and coaching skills required to support staff to deliver results.
· Demonstrated ability to guide, lead and motivate multidisciplinary teams of experts and to coordinate teamwork across departments.
· Ability to simultaneously work on a range of assignments and projects while prioritizing complex tasks appropriately
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey complex messages and to adopt the communication style to the audience.
· Communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.