Posted on :
1 May, 2017
1 May, 2017
Agro Lead Ghana in collaboration with Tama Solutions is commencing the implementation of Rice and Soya bean value chain project through farmer based organizations in Northern Ghana. The goal of the project is to improve Rice and Soya bean production in a sustainable manner and to improve supply of agro inputs to over 1000 smallholder farmers in four districts (Karaga, Gushegu, East Gonja and Kumbungu). The project tackles directly four key areas of improving food security and sustainable economic growth for small-holder farmers: improving production; better marketing of products; expansion of household activities into off-season businesses; and access to inputs support. In light of this, the organization is currently seeking an Agricultural Extension Officer for the five year project.
Job Title: Agricultural Extention Officer
Objectives of Position: To ensure the effective dissemination, implementation and adoption of good environmentally friendly agronomic practices to members of the 40 FBO’s to improve the smallholder farmers’ knowledge about crop techniques to increase productivity.
Duties, Roles and Responsibilities
This will include but not limited to the following:
• To coordinate and monitor all activities in operational area including the distribution of inputs.
• To work with the Agriculture Officer to Facilitate and train farmers base on protocol.
• To prepare weekly and monthly reports on activities progress.
• To organize regular farmers’ meetings at village levels and also collaborate with the District MOFA extension officers in your area of operations in the training and education of farmers on the safe and proper use of inputs and implements.
• To demonstrate on farms the proper use and application of input.
• To monitor and assist in collecting data from both demonstration farms and farmer’s farms in the area of operations.
• To distribute and account for all inputs delivered to all farmers in your operational area.
• To work closely with the Agriculture Officer, Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) Agriculture Extension Agents (AEAs) to design and implement appropriate agriculture and climate change adaptation techniques for farmers
• To work closely with AEAs assigned to the various communities in the delivery of agriculture extension services
• To work with FBO’s in the establishment of demonstrations farms for farm trials on new agronomic techniques
• To develop the capacity of farmers to adopt and implement better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes to improve the long term performance of their farm businesses;
• To encourage farmers to adopt better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes to improve the long term performance of their farm businesses;
• To provide technical services for farmers in key parts of value chains where it is more effective and efficient (e.g. For integrated pest and disease management, climate change adaptation techniques, improved data management, veterinary services);
• To work with the Agriculture officer to generate public awareness on important agricultural issues (especially the advantages of local production, quality, climate change and safety), as well as to communicate all aspects of the Project to a wide range of stakeholders
• To perform any other duties as required by the Agriculture officer
Qualification Required & Experience
• Diploma or B.Sc. in agriculture-related courses.
• Experience in crop production
• Strong communication, presentation and liaison and interpersonal skills
• Keen interest and knowledge of farming and environmental issues
• Knowledge of, and experience in, the application of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP);
• Experience in working within a multi-layered organizational structure operating out of several dispersed offices;
• Ready to visit at least five farmers farm everyday
• An open, flexible and innovative working style;
• Ability to take initiative and work without constant supervision;
• Willingness to ride a motorbike
• Must be gender sensitive
Location: Northern Region
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, their detailed curriculum vitae and contacts of three relevant referees to: [email protected]
The Director Rice Value Chain project Agro Lead-Ghana P.O. Box TL 2656 Tamale Closing Date: 10 May, 2017
Agro Lead Ghana is gender sensitive organization; as a result women are encouraged to apply.