Posted on :
23 Jun, 2017
23 Jun, 2017
The U.S. Mission in Accra, Ghana is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Consular Investigations Assistant in the Consular Section of the Embassy.
Job Title: Consular Investigations Assistant
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
• Incumbent performs detailed and complex investigations related to the full range of nonimmigrant,
immigrant visa and diversity visa cases as well as American Citizenship Services cases.
• Conducts investigations and documents verification’s requested by the Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security, and other posts.
• The work requires field investigations and interviews, which includes reviewing dockets and files at civil, religious, education and other institutions and organizations.
Qualifications Required & Experience
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is
EDUCATION: A minimum of two years of fulltime, postsecondary study at university, secretarial college, vocational college or commercial college is required.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two years of investigative work, such as criminal investigations in police or military organizations or other professional law
LANGUAGE: Level IV (fluency) in written, spoken and reading English is required. Leve lII (Good working knowledge) in Twi, Ga, Ewe or Fanti. Must be able to
communicate effectively with staff and members of the public in at least two of the local languages. Language proficiency will be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must have good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Computer Skills will be tested.
When qualified, applicants who are U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and/or preferenceeligible U.S. Veterans are given a preference in hiring.
Therefore, it is essential that these applicants make themselves known as having a hiring preference and specifically address the required qualifications above in their application.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) USEFM who is ALSO a preferenceeligible U.S. Veteran
(2) USEFM OR a preferenceeligible U.S. Veteran
(3) FS on LWOP
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
2. Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
3. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
4. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold a security clearance.
5. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Salary: GH¢38,571.00 p.a. (Starting salary)
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS174), which
is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above); and
2. Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, certificates, degrees, etc.)
WHERE TO APPLY:
Human Resources Office U.S. Embassy Mailing Address: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom
Chancery American Embassy, Accra P. O. Box 194, Accra FAX Number: 0302741389 Telephone: 0302741000 Email
Address: [email protected] Closing Date: 28 June 2017
NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NONGHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO THEIR APPLICATIONS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB
LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.
IMPORTANT: Applicants claiming a U.S. Veteran’s preference must submit written documentation confirming eligibility (e.g., Member Copy 4 of Form DD214, Letter from the Veteran’s Administration, or certification documenting eligibility under the VOW Act with an expected discharge no later than 120 days after the certification is submitted) by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date
of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veteran’s preference will not be considered in the application process. Specific criteria
for receiving a U.S. Veteran’s preference may be found in HR/OE’s Family Member Employment Policy (FMEP). EQUAL
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have
been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail
themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.