Posted on :
23 Jul, 2011
The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of a SECRETARY in
the Facilities Maintenance Section.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Reporting to the FMM, the incumbent provides administrative and secretarial support to the Facility
Maintenance Office. This includes filing of documentation, preparation of all cable traffic that is
sent from the maintenance office, i.e. country clearance cables etc., official mission wide
memorandums, memos, faxes, e-mails and other correspondence. S/he sorts and distributes mail to
all offices; acts as receptionist, screening callers and escorting visitors to the FM section; schedules
appointments for the Facility Manager and FMO staff. The incumbent receives all incoming
telephone calls, and then dispatches the calls throughout the rest of the FMO shops.
The incumbent prepares work orders on requests received by phone call; initiates expendable
supply requests; tracks and follow-up on action items assigned to staff; conducts research via the
Internet for product and service information in support of FMO activities.
The incumbent supervises two clerks, input data into post database, closes out work requests once
tasks are completed; serves as a Class B Sub-Cashier, disburses cash for material purchases and
collects receipts from transactions; administers annual leave, sick and other type of leave, and
enters data into post database.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and
comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Completion of secondary school or successful completion of secretarial or business school
2. Three years office administration with general accounting along with one – two years
experience as a team/work leader or supervisor of administrative staff.
3. Level IV English (fluent) – High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken
language, including the ability to translate. On occasion, the Job Holder may need to act as
an interpreter. Language proficiency will be tested.
4. A general knowledge of accounting practices and principles. Knowledge of office practices,
proper preparation of file systems, proper grammar and punctuation for business memos,
customer service techniques and telephone etiquette.
5. Level II (40 wpm w/minimal errors) typing skills, Computer skills in Microsoft Office
Software Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. (will be tested)
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be
given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications
above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status
in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs
Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report
are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to
apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are
ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their
employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed
(WAE) work schedule.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member
(DS- 174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work
experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see
section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must
submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification
requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following
information equal to what is found on the UAE:
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names usedF. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes
or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle,
Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S.
Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not
be accepted. You may apply on-line using the [email protected] email
address. This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the
American Embassy. Please go to our website for additional information,
including current openings and tips on applying with the American Embassy in
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION.
APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE
HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
Through the Mailroom, Chancery
U. S. Embassy, Accra
P.O. Box GP 194, Accra
OR: [email protected]
POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] get a copy of this vacancy announcement, please log on to our website at:
ANNOUNCEMENT #: HR11-023
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: SECRETARY (Facilities Maintenance Section)
POSITION NO: A51311
OPENING DATE: July 19, 2011
CLOSING DATE: August 2, 2011
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
SALARY: *Not-Ordinarily Resident: (Position Grade: FP-8 is to be confirmed by
*Ordinarily Resident: GH¢10,849 p.a. (Starting salary)
(Position Grade: FSN-6)
LENGTH OF HIRE: Indefinite