AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Fibre and Network Technician.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Fiber and Network Technician is accountable for the splicing, connections, testing, commissioning, and handover of the Fiber Optic and Network Cables to Operations in a safe and compliant manner with respect to works on the Obuasi Mine Phase 3 Project.
- Work compliantly with the requirement of government of Ghana agencies, environmental, health and safety legislation and AGAG regulation
- Accept personal responsibility for health and safety and that of every mine worker by his/her work. Also having a duty of care for themselves and others in a working environment.
- Adhere to the site’s Environmental management plan.
- Report to the Senior C & I Engineer for the purposes of assisting in safety, works in progress and completions.
- Be aware of schedule requirements and able to report early any constraints that may arise during the project.
- Ensure all Fiber Optic cables have been correctly Spliced, labelled and tested using the Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) tester with all results documented as per AGAG’s, QAQC procedures.
- Ensure all category 5 & 6 ethernet cables have been correctly terminated, labelled and tested ensuring correct connectivity to the associated devices with all results documented as per AGAG’s, QAQC procedures.
- Connections and testing of other networking, control and vendor equipment interface cables as required
- Assist in maintaining safety and integrity of the Process Control Network by means of ensuring correct Shielding and Separation of cables as required in AGAG’s Cable specifications.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate or relevant qualification in Electrical, Electronic, Instrumentation or Networking qualification or equivalent
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Installation and fiber splicing of fiber optic cables in an industrial environment preferably mining
- Testing of fiber optic cables with the use of the OTDR tester
- Installation, connections and testing of category 5 & 6 ethernet cables in an industrial environment preferably mining
- Familiarity with Ghana Minerals and Mining (Health Safety and Technical) Regulation.
- Must possess relevant certificate of competency from Minerals Commission of Ghana
- Be able to splice fiber optic cables, terminate ethernet cables and leave the fiber and ethernet cables in a well-presented manner.
- Have a strong understanding of the general mining PCS Network diagrams.
- Have a strong understanding of Network diagrams for but not limited to MCC’s, RIO Panels, CCTV, vendor interface equipment, PMS Networks.
- Be familiar with vendor documentation associated with mining equipment and mining infrastructure.
- Have an understanding of the overall control and network distribution for materials handling for underground, surface and mining infrastructure.
- Be able to participate in setting up testing programs with regard to A & I Equipment FAT and SA Testing from the fiber optic and ethernet cables point of view.
- Be able to produce test sheets for all Networking cables tested
- Be part a team capable of producing good quality work in a timely manner.
- Continuously improve processes used by the team
- Be part of the team with behaviors consistent with company values
- Participate to initiate, drive, motivate and support the construction project team to deliver the project goals
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem solving
- Be part of an environment of teamwork and willingness to help others
- Able to work with others from all different disciplines
- Organizational skills with focus on, schedules, and progress