AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Engineering Manager – Technical.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Engineering Manager – Technical is accountable for the development and implementation of QA/QC of Surface and Underground Fixed Plant Infrastructure maintenance, including the Surface Processing Plant, Surface Mine Infrastructure, and Surface Support Infrastructure, Underground Mine Infrastructure, Hoists and Shaft Infrastructure and Heavy Mobile Equipment through the application of operational engineering policies, standards, systems and procedures to maximise plant availability in a sustainable, cost-effective manner and minimise operational risks to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Deliver the Safety Management plan elements for the areas under the incumbent’s control.
- Review the application of safety standards and work practices for the workforce to enable the safety targets to be managed and achieved.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate safety behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed to perform tasks without risk of injury or harm.
- Continuously seek opportunities to improve design and field safety performance.
- Apply the ‘working elements’ (inspections, audits, JHA, etc.) of the Safety Management System and deliver compliance.
- Deliver timely investigation of all injuries, illnesses, and incidents with actions plans developed to prevent recurrences.
- Execute activities in line with the Environmental Management Plan.
- As a minimum, achieve zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure.
- Utilise ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools to investigate process interruptions to reduce exposure to environmental risks.
- Reduce energy usage by running the plant energy consumption per unit produced at the optimal rate within the sphere of influence.
- Support the Processing Department to maintain Cyanide Code certification.
- Establish the Technical teams required to support the role holder in executing duties.
- Using AGA’s How we Work guidelines, clearly define the roles and accountabilities of subordinates.
- Guide subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance.
- Verify that supervisor develop a skills matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements.
- Identify skill deficiencies and initiate corrective action.
- Manage the development of training plans for each Graduate Trainee and the apprenticeship programme for all required on-site trades.
- Implement the approved organisational structure required to deliver the targets and future operational requirements.
- Engage and develop appropriately skilled, capable and experienced personnel in the area of accountability.
- Support the development and implementation of systems for the Engineering department to provide effective quality planning of work, efficient and safe work practices, monitoring performance, and promoting continuous improvement.
- Operate the QA/QC of maintenance of the processing plant, surface and underground mine infrastructure during the Phase1 & 2 Operations.
- Ensure the work carried out by the maintenance team is of a standard that supports the operational requirements of the equipment and is at optimum cost.
- Identify sub-standard work practices and take action to eliminate them and identify the root cause of these poor work practices.
- Assign tasks to subordinates in line with achieving the agreed production plan.
- Lead a team of engineers to specify, design, analyse and verify new components and systems.
- Implement corporate programs, e.g. asset management strategies, System for People, Operational Effectiveness, etc, across areas of control.
- Deploy management routines to identify defects in the workplace
- Establish good rapport with the other departments to ensure common goals are identified and reached.
- Develop a 2-year plan for QA/QC of maintenance activities:
- Identify trends in plant performance
- Carry out Root Cause Analysis workshops to analyse failures to identify the root cause
- Identify and consider the applicability of new technology and products
- Monitor the stage of the life cycle costing of key equipment with consideration to changing operational parameters with regard to QA/QC
- Evaluate the cost of changing operational parameters
- Sustainably optimises plant availability and capability.
- Deliver the approved budget whilst proposing solutions to adapt to unforeseen circumstances and identify and discuss opportunities to exceed the annual budget and action authorised changes.
- Contribute within accountability to the sustainable use of rivers and use water efficiently by
- Monitoring necessary service work on reverse osmosis plants
- Monitoring chemical dosing effectiveness by taking samples to analyse for long term sustainable operation of equipment
- Monitoring usage of equipment
- Utilise SAP for the Maintenance Department ahead of the business planning process
- Once the annual master schedule of work packages is approved, execute the required QA/QC on the work carried out during that schedule by adhering to the rolling three-month schedule of work packages, including 80% of scheduled work allowing for unplanned work.
- Every month report significant variations or critical issues that may impact on the Operating Master Schedule along with corrective actions to mitigate risk.
- Monitor the supply, availability and condition of parts, inventory, general consumables and rotatable equipment required to provide assured sustainable operation of the processing facility.
- Maintain QA/QC of the maintenance and operation of the Processing Plant and Surface and Underground mine infrastructure within the approved project schedule, achieving monitoring of all critical intermediate milestones
- Develop and maintain Engineering Management Plan as a key Project Execution Plan sub-plan in the area of accountability.
- Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs for refurbishment activities.
- Oversee the Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process, review and approve appropriate technical and non-technical documentation
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- Planning, Reliability, SAP qualification
- Financial, Commercial Management through work experience and courses.
- An experienced QA/QC engineer with 10+ years’ experience in the reliability and condition monitoring of Surface Processing Plant, Surface and Underground Mine and Support Infrastructure maintenance
- Experience in management and QA/QC on contractor work
- Experience of Maintenance and Repair Contracts (MARC)
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM Module and its role in reliability / condition monitoring / recording
- Knowledge of setup/running Graduate Trainee and/or Apprenticeship Schemes would be advantageous
- Must possess Engineering Managers Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana.
- Professional Certificated Engineer with a relevant certification body
- Strong QC/QA competencies
- Strong maintenance competencies in fixed plants
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties.
- Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel
- Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs;
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs;
- Model work behaviors for your subordinates,
- Consistent with the company values
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- To support and motivate the construction project team to deliver the project goals.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem solving.
- Create an environment of teamwork and willingness to help coworkers
- Able to work different kinds of people.