AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Mine Captain – Project
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Project Mine Captain will implement safe mining practices at project construction areas to rehabilitate, strip, or develop accesses and other excavations accordance with the Mining Regulations and deliver the work of the rehabilitation, stripping, development within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, costs and related KPIs.
- Work compliantly with the requirement of government of Ghana agencies, environmental, health and safety legislation and AGAG regulations.
- Accept personal responsibility for health and safety and that of every mine worker by his/her work. Also having a duty of care for themselves and others in a working environment.
- Responsible and accountable for their team’s environmental obligations and performances by conducting informal meetings with team and reporting any weaknesses in the environmental procedures.
- Enforce all environmental work procedures that have been issued by the Departmental Manager.
- Investigate all environmental incidents in their assigned work areas. Immediately after an incident, complete an incident report form and submit to the Departmental Manager for onward submission to the Environmental Manager or his representative. A preliminary investigation report and any recommendations for preventing a recurrence should be included on the incident report form.
- Attend all scheduled and assigned environmental training meetings.
- Act on all employee environmental complaints and suggestions.
- Promote and implement human resources development practices to ensure respect, improve loyalty and enhanced relationship between workmen
- Provide leadership and support for the entire team to achieve sectional goals
- Work with authorities, other peers and subordinates to control and manage mining projects, seek out, lead and apply underground best practices and continuous improvements practices to deliver sustainable cost, efficiency and promote workmen health and wellness.
- Commission and handover instrumentation, associated control, networking and cabling systems to also comply to the requirements of AGAG’s Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Assist in maintaining safety and integrity of the Process Control Network
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc./Diploma degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent operational experience
- 6-8 years post-graduation experience in underground development, rehab, stripping, infrastructural installation and construction, shaft management, Tramming and skipping operations
- Ghanaian Driver’s License
- Must possess relevant certificate of competency from Minerals Commission of Ghana
- Broad range of technical skills relevant to underground mining
- Possess detailed knowledge in the mining operations value chain
- Must have the capacity to interpret data and successfully action sound tactical decisions
- Familiarity with Mining Software
- Safety (Advanced Application): Can identify and interpret safety risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensuring that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
- Mining Production Processes & Practices (Advanced Application):
- Understands key underground mining processes and has demonstrated the ability to apply it in optimizing performance.
- Knows when to engage Specialists support.
- Understanding of good underground production practices, management, support systems, and how each should interact to deliver targeted performance.
- Able to manage performance based on interpretation of data, and can initiate and drive the operational improvements as required.
- Demonstrated ability of delivering to production and cost targets.
- Planning (Advanced Application): Understanding of good mine planning processes and the ability to drive the establishment of required planning systems and approaches.
- Contract Management (Advanced Application)
- Management of a mining contractor and more generally contractor management in an UG setting.
- Strong knowledge in contract management practices and demonstrated ability in managing operational mining contracts.
- Mine Captain’s Certificate of Competency or equivalent, as required by the Minerals Commission (Chief Inspector of Mines).
- Fostering a team environment – Inspiring and Motivating Others, promoting Collaboration and Team work, Developing Others, Communicating prolifically
- Managing oneself – Taking ownership of one’s personal development;
- Building Effective Working Relationships – The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
- Building Trust & Accountability – Displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Maximizing Performance Results – Solving Problems and Analyzing Issues, Driving for Results,
- Displaying Technical and Professional expertise, Innovating, Taking Initiative, Championing Change, Establishing Stretch Goals