AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: OCCUPATIONAL HYGIENIST.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The role holder is responsible for applying the principles of Anticipation, Recognition, Evaluation and Control in assisting with the implementation of a risk-based health strategy through an effective Occupational Health and Hygiene program system which is designed to prevent injury and illness to AngloGold Ashanti Ghana employees and contractors from the exposure to chemical, physical, biological, and ergonomic hazards.
- Assist the Site Occupational Health & Hygiene (OH&H) Superintendent and medical service provider to develop and review strategies, annual goals and plans for the development of the site Occupational Health and Hygiene programs which will be in line with the overall Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) programs.
- Assist in the establishment of a routine monitoring program for identified exposure hazards in accordance with acceptable Industrial hygiene policies and practices.
- Manage the maintenance and calibration of all Industrial Hygiene equipment and ensure updated and accurate records.
- Participate in control strategies implementation to manage the health hazard exposures to personnel in the workplace.
- Participate in health hazards assessments and ensure physical capability analyses are completed and maintained for all Similar Exposure Groups (SEG’s) throughout the operation.
- Implement and monitor the effectiveness of OH&H control measures.
- Follow up on OH&H related corrective actions to ensure its effective implementation.
- Report Industrial Hygiene monitoring to employees and government agencies as required
- Assist with the design and implementation of special programs to correct adverse OH&H trends.
- Act as a resource for supervisors and employees regarding OH&H procedures, regulations, trends, and sample results.
- Maintain the OH&H database and Participate in OHS management assessment and Internal audits.
- Participate in the investigation of accidents and over exposures.
- Provide support in carrying out all Occupational Health and Hygiene functions at the Site Including:
- Air monitoring
- Exposure Reduction
- Critical Control Verification/Monitoring
- Biological Monitoring/Medical Surveillance
- Radiation Safety
- Respiratory Protection
- Hearing Protection Program etc.
- Support in the preparation of OH&H reports for site, regional and corporate.
- Conduct inspections of contractor worksites and assess contractor OH&H program status.
- Provide support in the development and implementation of training and awareness programs for OH&H related topics.
- Provide working support to other units within the Safety and Health Department in achieving mine wide Occupational Safety and Health goals.
- Complete all other workplace tasks as assigned by the Head of Safety and Health Department.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a Degree in Industrial Hygiene, Chemical Engineering, Environmental & Safety Engineering, Physical Sciences, or related field from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Must have Auditing Qualification or Experience.
- Must have working knowledge and practice in Safety Management Systems
- Must have a minimum of 2 years Health & Safety and / or Industrial Hygiene working experience.
- Must have an in-depth understanding and working knowledge of Health & Safety rules and regulations.
- Must have knowledge of Health & Safety legislative requirements (Mincom)
- Thorough understanding of Safety Management Systems including ISO 45001
- Must have strong presentation and communication skills as well as excellent report writing
- Must have astute quantitative and statistical analytical skills
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft programs.
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with detailed CV.