AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Senior Backfill Engineer.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
To manage and co-ordinate the backfill requirements for the mine in line with the established mine plan.
- Assess risks for all tasks and ensure they are controlled before and during task execution.
- Report all incidents and ensure they have been investigated and corrective actions completed on time.
- Prepare sectional annual cost centre budget
- Act on all corrective actions assigned to him/her or under his/her jurisdiction and ensure timely completion
- Investigate all environmental incidents in assigned work areas and prepare reports with recommendations for the Departmental Manager for onward submission to the Environmental Manager or his/her representative
- Develop the Backfill Engineering team recruitment specifically driving the localisation aims of the mine.
- Map key internal stakeholder relationships and value with relevant management routines (communication, touchpoints, key meetings)
- Prepare Backfill Engineering data aligned to defined quality assurance expectations
- Ensure timely assessments of Backfill Engineering processes data
- Report on costs controls and any deviations or constraints which may impact on planned outcomes
- Implement approved work programmes and report on the attainment of plan
- Apply controls to manage identified risks.
- Ensure workplace monitoring and compliance with work standards of field personnel and contractors
- Recommend and optimise the approach for conducting specialist projects and research in the Backfill Engineering process and procedures
- Establish a network of targeted stakeholder relationships to socialise initiatives and enhancements
- Report on the development and progress of initiatives and enhancements of the Backfill Engineering function, to include outputs and benefits obtained.
- Describe the specific problems and constraints to be managed within the Backfill Engineering function
- Present solutions to specific problems with defined resolution methodologies and resources to deliver improved performance in processes and procedures
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc. Mining / Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Five (5) to eight (8) years’ operational experience within an underground mining environment of which at least three (3) years is backfill systems based;
- Demonstrated experience with knowledge of fundamental underground backfill mechanics;
- Proficient in the use of Mining Software;
- Proficient in the management and control of underground backfill operations across a range of fill types;
- Excellent Communication Skills.
Safety (Advanced Application)
- Can identify and interpret safety risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensuring that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
- Active participant in ensuring critical controls are in place and working.
- Mining Production Processes & Practices (Basic Application)
- Understands the mining processes and actively contributes in part to delivery of the expected outcome/service the mining processes deliver.
- Has demonstrated the ability to apply technical skills and/or delivery of a service within one or more of the mining processes with minimal supervision.
- Can identify potential problems and propose solutions for higher approval.
- Directly responsible for delivering a production aspect of the plan.
- Understands good underground production practices, management, support systems, and how each should interact to deliver targeted performance.
- Operational Management (Basic Application)
- Understands the AGA system of ‘how we work’ and applies the basic elements.
- Capable of managing and supervising small teams.
- Able to provide performance assessments on others to their direct manager.
- Understands the adjacent technical disciplines (geology, processing, engineering etc.) and participates in discussions with colleagues in these disciplines on areas of overlap and opportunity.
- Uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities and identify cost-effective approaches
- Understands financial reports and comprehends the relevance/impact to the total operation
- Actively looks for ways to manage costs without impacting on planned outcomes
- Planning (Basic Application)
- Competent in creating ventilation strategies to support a mining area or block.
- Competent in developing an understanding of costs and revenue associated with a design to drive business outcomes.
- Understanding of all ancillary detail of a plan.
- Contract Management (Basic Understanding)
- Understands the core elements of the contract and its intended outcomes.
- Identifies and monitors elements of the contract performance.
- Makes suggestions for improvements or variations via their manager
- Project Management (Basic Application)
- Understands AGA project management standards and has applied them in a minor project to conceptual level.
- Ability to lead a minor project and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers
- Innovation (Basic Application)
- Identifies and proposes modifications to existing processes to deliver better performance and service.
- Creating a disciplined team to deliver the planned work to the defined standards.
- Managing oneself – taking ownership of one’s personal development.
- Building effective working relationships – the ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
- Building trust & accountability – displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Maximizing performance & achievement of results – solving problems and analyzing issues, driving for results