AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient, and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our team as:
Job Title: Safety Officer Surface
SAFETY OFFICER SURFACE
The Safety Officer – Surface will implement and improve processes to monitor the implementation of Health and Safety (H&S) policies, programs, and initiatives related to Surface Operational Safety including management or performance of the work necessary to ensure adherence to safety regulations, completion of safety training, and attainment of business values and objectives. The role is also accountable for the daily management of the H&S departments including the budget in these areas as well as coordinating, planning, and managing the implementation of programs with other departments and stakeholders. “Surface Safety” refers to all above-ground areas in Obuasi Mine including Mining, Processing, tailings dams, water processing plants, common roads, and buildings, etc.
- Attend all scheduled and assigned environmental training meetings.
- Act on all employee environmental complaints and suggestions
- Support the direct Manager and Manager once Removed to deliver the work of the Surface Safety Section within the approved budget, specified timeframes, and related KPIs.
- Identify and make input to the development of the annual budget and ensure the direct Manager or Manager once removed is informed of cost items.
- Provide support to the operations team by maintaining a visible presence on the field and performing site visits to ensure relevant risks are adequately managed.
- Work with SHE Reps and the Safety Team to capably and consistently deliver the annual and quarterly plan according to their role and expectation of the Company.
- Demonstrate Safety Leadership and improve the Culture across the mine regarding Safety, Health, and Sustainable Development.
- Support environmental management that is integrated into the team’s work plan and implemented during the execution of work.
- Rigorously drive the implementation of safety initiatives and strategies among the various AGAG departments and contractor operations.
- Support the development and maintenance of constructive relationships with Internal Stakeholders (Sister mines, etc.) and external Stakeholders (Regulatory Agencies and Authorities, Minerals Commission) to establish existing and changing societal and regulatory expectations and requirements
QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- Must have a Degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Must have a basic professional qualification (NEBOSH IGC, or better.) in Health and Safety.
- ISO 45001 Lead Auditor Certification from a recognized institution will be an added advantage.
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Officer Competency Certificate from the Minerals Commission of Ghana.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of working experience in the mining industry.
- Must have an in-depth understanding and working knowledge of Safety rules and regulations.
- Has a thorough understanding of Safety Management Systems including ISO 45001.
- Has successfully completed Accident Investigations course and can apply this knowledge to lead investigations for moderate or high events and can participate as a team member in High Potential Accident investigations.
- Must have strong presentation and communication skills as well as excellent report writing
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian driving license and be able to demonstrate adequate competence in driving.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft programs.