AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Closure Manager.
Job Title: Closure Manager
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Closure Manager is accountable for implementing closure projects at Obuasi. This role will include providing technical and project management of all involved disciplines to deliver the closure projects on time and on budget as well as progressing and updating the site’s integrated closure planning and implementation in compliance with the AGA Closure Planning Standard and the approved Obuasi Reclamation Plan and the internal Obuasi Closure Plan. The role will also include a requirement for stakeholder engagement, particularly with regulators and communities, and regulatory reporting.
This role will help build capacity in closure planning skills among all disciplines on site and assist sites to integrate closure activities into their daily operations as applicable. This role will also ensure a collegiate environment with discipline functional heads at a business unit, regional and corporate level.
- Achieve the annual safety target as set by the MD for area of accountability
- Demonstrate behaviour that is consistent with the AngloGold Ashanti Safety Vision and Values.
- Ensure the health and safety management system (ISO 45001) in area of accountability are being complied with and that any deviations in this regard are addressed in the appropriate manner.
- Lead by example at all times to create a safe work environment in which risk is managed and people are able to perform their jobs without the risk of injury to themselves and others
- Continuously seek opportunity for learning to improve performance
- Manage, coordinate and integrate studies and trials to fill knowledge gaps and subsequently update closure plan
- Manage, coordinate and implement update of the integrated closure plan as additional information is identified
- Facilitate the integration of closure into site business plans
- Provide closure advice and technical inputs to any surface projects (and underground projects which may influence closure requirements)
- Conduct closure related monitoring and evaluation to track major milestones and targets dates for each action (implementation and planning), and to provide early warning signs of change for corrective action
- Provide technical input (or facilitate the closure-related technical inputs of other discipline) to site project studies, permit documentation, assessment and the like to ensure closure considerations are included and meet the requirements of the plan.
- Work closely with technical specialist of levels to update and amend the closure plan and related cost as appropriate
- Facilitate, coordinate and manage closure-related stakeholder (internal & external) engagement and communication commensurate to the life of mine
- Socialize the closure planning requirement at a site and stakeholder level.
- Manage risk identification and corrective action processes to ensure the plan and implementation is adjusted accordingly
- Provide project progress report to management, including risk and opportunities
- Provide constant feedback to direct manager and management team pertaining to critical issues, risks and considerations
- Negotiate contracts for services provided for closure activities in accordance with applicable policy
- Perform the role of Contract Representative to monitor all aspects of contractor performance and address any performance and contract compliance issues in area of accountability
- Monitor the performance of contractors/consultants to ensure the required outcomes are achieved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop and manage the monthly budget for the closure plan and perform regular cost analysis and cost control exercises to stay within the budget and timing for the closure plan and in accordance with submissions and commitments made to the EPA.
- Manage and monitor implementation packages in accordance with closure targets in terms of the reclamation plan/schedule, success criteria and performance indicators.
- Continuously identify opportunities to reduce cost or improve the cost efficiency of the closure plan
- Review compliance e to laws and AGA standards and commitments, review performance against objectives and targets
- Identify all environmental risk and opportunities and provide and/or oversee the provision of quarterly updates regarding the control measures set out in order to address these.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Mining or Civil Engineering or Environmental / Earth / Natural Resources Management related sciences
- Additional qualifications in project management would be advantageous
- 8 to 10 years’ experience in the mining industry, of which at least 3 should have been at a managerial level.
- Proven experience in multi-disciplinary project management and reporting.
- Experience in practical, pragmatic and business-oriented solution identification based on specific site characteristics.
- Field experience (preferably in Africa) and demonstrated ability in analysis, design, planning and implementation of large scale civil earthworks projects.
- Proven experience in managing a team, contractors and consultants
- Proven experience of engaging with external and internal stakeholders
- Experience in developing or implementing integrated mine closure plans inclusive of biophysical, social and human resources aspects for all stages of mine life from exploration or prefeasibility through to mine closure
- Integrated closure planning requirements
- Gold-related mineral exploration methods, mine waste disposal methods, mineral processing methods and integrated closure options for all domains.
- An understanding of mine planning process and models.
- Project management and change management programs
- Coordination and management of different disciplines and throughout various levels of the workforce including management
- Excellent English written and oral communication and report writing skills
- Ability to understand and implement complex closure projects with competing requirements
- Capacity and team building ability to ensure role can be nationalized (in the event that the candidate is not Ghanaian)
- Flexibility and ability to implement change management processes as required
- Risk assessment and mitigation processes and application
- Fostering a team environment – Inspiring and Motivating Others, promoting Collaboration and Team work, Developing Others, Communicating prolifically
- Managing oneself – Taking ownership of one’s personal development;
- Building Effective Working Relationships – The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
- Building Trust & Accountability – Displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Creating Organisational Transformation – Displaying strategic perspectives in adapting plans for achieving organisational objectives;
- Maximising Performance Results – Solving Problems and Analysing Issues, Driving for Results,
- Displaying Technical and Professional expertise, Innovating, Taking Initiative, Championing Change, Establishing Stretch Goals