AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Environmental Officer – Waste & Chemical Management.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
This role holder is accountable for the implementation of Waste and Chemical Management processes, plans and procedures to maintain the environmental legal and social license to operate Obuasi Mine.
The Environmental Officer will be required to assist with EMS administration, incident reporting, corrective action follow up, environmental inspections/audits and advisory functions to all employees where relevant at Obuasi Mine.
- Implement relevant environmental management programs as directed by senior management
- Maintain knowledge of local environmental issues as well as focusing on environmental monitoring and compliance,
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to enable the business to meet its legislative and internal requirements.
- Evaluate all waste and chemical facilities both surface and underground for compliance
- Report on the level of compliance of all waste and chemical facilities.
- Implement corrective actions to improve the level of compliance
- Supervise contractors managing waste and Chemicals
- Assist in planning for the required environmental inspections and audits
- Undertake inspections of all waste and chemical facilities across the mine to ensure compliance with legislation and AGA environmental management standards
- Provide input into reviewing and updating ISO 14001 procedures and policies as and when necessary
- Assist with ISO 14001 system and process audits
- Implement the incident management procedures including emergency response, reporting, clean up and rehabilitation
- Take part in environmental incident investigations
- Implement recommended incident mitigation and preventative action plans
- Implement and maintain environmental education awareness programs
- Provide environmental inductions and awareness training to employees, visitors, and contractors
- Conduct in-house environmental impact assessments
- Provide expertise and guidance regarding environmental permit requirements for contractors
- Manage the internal environmental permitting processes
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Tertiary qualification in the field of Environmental Science and other Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, etc.) or a relevant Natural Science qualification
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of environmental management in a mining environment
- Working knowledge of ISO 14001 requirements
- Experience with waste and chemical management practices
- Advanced computer literacy is essential
- Valid driver’s license
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with a detailed CV.
CLOSING DATE: 23RD JULY, 2019.