AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Geotechnical Engineer.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
To coordinate and implement geotechnical systems and processes to ensure stability of mine excavations, whilst delivering on the business objectives / targets. To mitigate geotechnical risk by identifying geotechnical hazards and advising appropriate actions.
- Establish the necessary foundation for the redevelopment of the Obuasi Mine, and being operationally ready
- Implement suitable systems and procedures to ensure an effective and efficient implementation of the Rock Engineering/Backfill strategies and programs
- Coordinate internal stakeholder relationships and value with relevant management routines (communication, touchpoints, key meetings)
- Implement geotechnical programmes
- Provide unequivocal Geotechnical planning data to enable the quarterly updates of the rolling 12-month plan to be produced on time.
- Implement geotechnical data aligned to defined quality assurance expectations
- Carry out timely assessments of Geotechnical processes data
- Relay conclusions with accurate information and analysis
- Conduct work programme risk assessments conducted prior to implementation
- Develop and submit the annual cost centre budget to achieve the required targets for approved Geotechnical Outputs
- Adopt geotechnical budget with Annual (Quarter by Quarter) plan including: strategic intent, mine design, infrastructure specifications, production schedules, financial models, identified risks and issues
- Deliver the work of the Geotechnical function within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, costs and related KPIs
- Implemented approved work programmes and reports on the attainment of plan
- Implement controls to manage identified risks.
- Implement techniques, tools and skills for target development.
- Workplace monitoring and compliance with work standards of field personnel and contractors
- Demonstrate Safety Leadership and improve the Culture across the Geotechnical department and with own Geotechnical team regarding Safety, Health, Environmental and Sustainable Development
- Safety communications
- Achievement of safety goals and targets
- Legislative and regulatory compliance and document control
- Coordination of incident investigation
- Hazard reporting
- Risk management
- Certification readiness
- Safety, permitting, environment, cultural heritage and community considerations for exploration programmes
- Provide the resources and expertise to develop the team to capably and consistently deliver the annual budget, according to their role and level of authority
- Compliance with Labour Act, AGA and Obuasi HR policies
- For self-development
- Individual Development Plan
- Accountability Action Plan Meetings
- Rigorously drive implementation of projects and nurture and sustain a culture of Accountability and Continuous Improvement within Geotechnical team
- Report on the development and progress of initiatives and enhancements of the Geotechnical function, to include outputs and befits obtained.
- Monitor and report on the outcomes and standards of work from direct reports or field personnel and contractors
- Quarterly Reports which identify areas where Geotechnical may contribute an increase in enhanced methods which will bring improved efficiencies
- Optimise procedures within existing functional processes through the application of problem identification and resolution methodologies
- Establish and maintain consistent team performance and relationships within the function and cross-functionally within the department
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with Internal Stakeholders (Corporate, Group Planning & Technical, sister mines, etc.) and external Stakeholders (Regulatory Agencies and Authorities, Minerals Commission) to establish existing and changing societal and regulatory expectations and requirements
- Managed key internal stakeholder relationships
- External Stakeholder Management and Engagement Plan to provide Geotechnical expertise and advice.
- Monitoring of Statutory regulations, elevating any concerns
- Continuous engagement with internal stakeholders and contractors
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc in Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering or similar
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience and demonstrated technical capability and knowledge of open pit and/or underground mining geotechnical design and implementation;
- Demonstrated capability to conduct technical geotechnical work with limited supervision;
- Be physically fit and be able to pass pre-employment and medical examinations / screening;
- Experience in the use of Mining Geotechnical Software;
- Good Communication Skills
- Understands the aspects of design basis and mechanisms identification and has demonstrated the ability to address their impact on the design with minimal supervision.
- Knows when to engage Specialists support.
- Understands how inputs & outputs to design specification contributes to the design parameters and how they can be manipulated to reduce variability.
- Can implement a new design specification philosophy under supervision
- Collects and manages relevant data to a high standard of quality assurance and control.
- Uses relevant statistical analysis, technical models, systems and tools as part of the analytical process.
- Makes & supports conclusions with accurate information & analysis suited to the mining method.
- Construct numerical models in simple codes.
- Understands the critical operational parameters to operate numerical codes and equipment within design tolerances.
- Understands the basic assumptions and reliability of numerical codes and equipment, and can identify when results are outside of norm.
- Building Effective Working Relationships – The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with detailed CV.
CLOSING DATE: 18TH MARCH, 2019.