AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Safety Officer – Surface.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
This position is responsible for all safety processes and procedures on Surface, including third parties operating on site surface operations. Reporting to the site Safety Superintendent – Surface, the surface safety officer enforces company safety policy and work procedures. This position works with the site superintendent, company surface safety officer, and general superintendent to complete accident investigations to ensure a safe working environment for all personnel and third parties.
- Provide support to the operations by maintaining a visible presence to the field performing site visits to the entire project at least once per shift, if possible coordinate with the project manager.
- Identify and make input to the development of annual budget and ensure his/her Manager or Manager once removed is informed of cost items
- Engage direct Manager to deliver the work of the Surface Safety department within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, costs and related KPIs
- Demonstrate and comply with Safety Leadership and improve the Culture across the Safety department regarding Safety, Health, and Sustainable Development
- Environmental management that is integrated into team’s work plan and implementation
- Work with SHE Representatives and the Safety Team to capably and consistently deliver the annual and quarterly plan according to their role and expectation of the Company.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must possess a Bachelors’ degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences.
- Must have a basic professional qualification (NEBOSH IGC, or better.) in Health and Safety
- Has a minimum of 3-5 experience within a mining, construction or engineering environment and can demonstrate understanding of hazard identification and controls, as well as Risk Management
- Audit and Inspection – Has completed an external safety or lead audit course. Has participated in audits at other sites as a team member and can develop workplace inspection systems.
- Incident investigation – Has successfully completed Accident Investigations course and can apply this knowledge to lead investigations for moderate or high events and can participate as a team member in High Potential Accident investigations.
- Supervision and Leadership – Can lead SHE Representatives under his jurisdiction and models required behaviors in the field. Able to coach work crews to adopt new safety processes even when challenged. Able to lead and direct the work of a small team of employees.
- Training and Coaching – Able to deliver generic training programs to individuals or small work teams. Able to coach work crews to adopt new safety processes even when challenged.
- Data and Information management – Understands basic lead and lag safety data and can manipulate this data to develop short term safety improvement plans.
- Identify Safety needs of SHE Reps and other members of crews in your work area, and engage personnel / resources within other departments to help fix the gap.
- Facilitate incident investigations to be able to identify root causes, distinguished from causal factors.
- Work with SHE Reps and ensure update of safety audits, observations and near misses with follow up on all open action items.
- Have a daily work plan to guide Identification and control of risks across surface work area.
- Work with SHE Reps to ensure development, administration including conducting proficiency assessments.
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with detailed CV.
CLOSING DATE: 21 APRIL, 2019.