The Obuasi Redevelopment Project aims to establish Obuasi as a modern efficient underground mechanised operation.
Job Title: Senior Manager – Underground infrastructure
The redevelopment comprises two main elements:
- Project Implementation, including demolition, construction and refurbishment, led by the Project Director.
- Operational Readiness, led by the Managing Director.
- The AGAG Board provides overall governance to the project.
- The EVP Group Planning and Technical (GP&T) is the project sponsor and will lead the team as the executive manager. The EVP is accountable for senior management appointments and will have overall accountability for all issues associated with the project including design, construction and operational implementation of the project.
- The Project Implementation team led by the Project Director will manage the engineering, procurement and construction of the fixed assets for the project including underground/surface infrastructure and processing plant with the support from an EPCM contractor. This team will also be responsible for operational readiness of the processing and maintenance teams. The Phase 1 operating period (2,000tpd operations) will be managed by the Project Implementation team. The final hand over of the project to the operating team will be after the commissioning of Phase 2.
- The Operations team, led by the Obuasi Managing Director, is responsible for operational readiness of the mine, building the organisation and establishing all required policies, systems and procedures. The mining contractor will work in an alliance relationship with the operations team for mining activities,
- Project Construction Organisation and Responsibilities, Due to the complexity and wide-ranging scope of work, the construction scope has been divided into two major work streams. The Owners team will provide overarching management of the Project scope of work and is responsible for the processing plant refurbishment and new paste fill plant installation. Whilst the EPCM team will manage the new build construction scope including TSF and refurbishment of underground infrastructure. The support function of engineering, procurement and the planning for both the refurbishment and construction works will be provided by the EPCM team.The Processing plant refurbishment will be headed by the Owners Project team Engineering Manager and will be supported by the Planning Manager, Discipline Supervisors, and the EPCM Engineering and Procurement team. The separation of refurbishment and construction has been adopted so that the Owners refurbishment team can set up the maintenance system, establish and train the future maintenance team for operations, while the refurbishment works are being completed.The EPCM team on site will be headed by the Construction Manager and will be assisted by Area Construction Supervisors, who will be responsible for applicable sections/disciplines of the site e.g. mine area, treatment plant and general site area.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Senior Manager Underground Infrastructure is responsible for overseeing and coordinating all construction activities and plans to ensure Obuasi Project surface infrastructure objectives and milestones are achieved in-line with defined expectations and best for project outcomes. This includes managing, overseeing and monitoring all surface new build activities, tailings storage facility (TSF) and other surface infrastructure construction works. Managing the EPCM contractor and subcontractors to ensure works are undertaken in-line with health, safety and environmental obligations, design specifications, quality, Project budget and schedule. The position is a key senior leadership team role, and requires extensive multi-disciplined construction experience, outstanding coordination, communication, management and stakeholder engagement skills.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Experience Must have 20+ years project engineering construction experience.Recent major project delivery experience, preferably within a large blue chip mining or resources environment.
Multi-disciplined, design, construction and commissioning experience, and have effectively managed teams, preferably within an owner’s team environment, with EPCM contractor and or subcontractor management experience.
- Legal requirements
As required by in-country specific legislative requirements
- Technical Competencies
- Multi-disciplined construction experience.
- Ability to resolve design and construction conflicts.
- Clear understanding of Quality and HSE management systems
- Highly flexible, able to balance competing demands/priorities
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work within multiple project teams with.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Manage conflict.
- Able to mentor and coach personnel.
- Defined timeframes and budgets.
- Ability to present to executives and key stakeholdersStrong understanding of fundamental project management practices including:
- WBS (scope control)
- Cost management
- Schedule management
- Document control
- Risk management
- Change management
- Earned Value Management
- Contracts and subcontract
- Audit, compliance and governance
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure construction workforce safety targets are achieved.
- Adhere to HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values. Lead by example at all times to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed to ensure tasks are performed without the risk of injury or harm to themselves, others and the environment.
- Continuously seek learning opportunities to improve safety performance.
- Support the Project Director and Obuasi Management team in all underground infrastructure project engineering and construction matters.
- Provide early construction input into the design and constructability process, ensuring safe constructability remains a priority. This includes but not limited to HAZID’s and HAZOP’s, cost and schedule development and ongoing reviews.
- Review and approve drawings, specification and all relevant technical and non technical documents issued by EPCM and/ or contractors.
- Key engineering and construction representative manage and lead multi-disciplined project construction functions, with a strong safety, cost, schedule, and quality focus.
- Advise and guide the project team on best practice and fit for purpose engineering and construction outcomes.
- Strong understanding of Quality, HSE management systems.
- Drive and champion the safety-first value and apply the principle into both design and field activities.
- Key interface role, to effectively manage the EPCM services contractor and other contractors.
- Ensure contractor’s construction activities meet the approved design specification.
Plans, Procedures, Standards and Documentation
- Develop and maintain the Construction Management Plan, specifically the underground infrastructure activities, as a key sub plan to the Project Execution Plan.
- Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining relevant Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs.
- Oversee the construction Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process.
- Provide input into HSE plan.
- Review and input into construction contractor procurement process.
- Ensure compliance with:
- Relevant legislation,
- Applicable codes
- Industry and AGAG standards
- AGAG Quality, HSE and Human Resources (HR) management systems, policies, procedures and processes.
- Project reporting and administration requirements.
Progress and Performance Reporting
- Monitor progress of engineering and construction works, advise progress and status in a timely manner to the management team, particularly potential cost, schedule or quality variances.
- Monitor (assess, record and feedback) contractor performance in the delivery of project outcomes.
- Review and provide feedback regarding contractor’s progress claims.
- Identify and address construction risks early, by communicating to appropriate stakeholders.
- Participate in formal risk review sessions.
Quality Management, Witness Testing and Inspection
- Inspect works to ensure construction activities are undertaken in accordance with engineering designs, contract specifications and authority requirements.
- Oversee and witness inspections and testing regimes to ensure quality and or performance is in line with obligations and expectations
- Project Director.
- Design Engineers, to resolve potential design issues that may occur.
- Project Services, contract and procurement, reporting on progress and productivity, change management, cost and schedule, risk and opportunities.
- EPCM Contractor.
- Third Party Contractors.
- Commissioning Manager.
- Operational Readiness team.
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve cost, schedule, quality and safety outcomes to all engineering and construction activities undertaken.
Audit, Governance and Compliance
- Participate in internal and external construction audits as required.
- In conjunction with the Commissioning manager develop the commissioning plan.
- Coordinate engineering and construction labour and resources (plant and equipment) to support the commissioning process.