APM Terminals is one of the world’s leading global terminal owners and operators, with a Global Terminal Network of more than 50 terminals with 18,000 employees in 34 countries that provide the port infrastructure essential to international transportation and global economic growth. APM Terminals works closely with governments, country leaders, customers, truckers and the entire shipping community to ensure supply chain efficiency and world-class service and is investing in world trade by building/operating port infrastructure necessary to keep global trade moving. APM Terminals is making significant investments in many growing economics and has a very strong business development organisation and focus for the future. As one of the latest developments in Africa, APM Terminals is realising an important investment in Monrovia, Liberia in close cooperation with the government of Liberia and the National Port Authority. As per 1 February APM Terminal Liberia Ltd. Is operating the port activities (container, General Cargo and Marine Services) in the Freeport of Monrovia.
APM Terminals Liberia Ltd, is interested recruiting, training and challenging the world’s best talent to join our global team and to serve our customers and lead our company.
The Marine Pilot:
- Acts as the APM Terminals Liberia representatives to safe guard all facilities of the Port and acts as a liaison between ship’s Master and the Port Authority while on board and ensures that all port regulations are adhered to and act on his initiative if this is not the case. He/she ensure that Marine Operations Procedure and Circulars are followed closely to enhance Ports’ functions performance and safety and plans and implements safety, fire, security and environmental policies and procedures in compliance with local, regional and national regulations
- Assist in sailing/shifting of adjacent ships in case of fire breakdown or any other emergency as required by the Harbor Master, Head of Marine services or his Assistants. The Marine Pilot also ensure that any incident/accident is reported immediately to the Port Harbor Master and Head of Marine Services and submits a written report. The Marine Pilot leads the investigation of accidents and injuries and co-operates in the preparation of material and evidence for organisation in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations
- Prepares reports on ship maneuvering deficiencies for presentation to the Head of Marine Services and to the Ship’s Master and enforces Port Rules and Regulations in consultation with the Head of Marine Services and advises ship’s Master, as required, regarding local Port, Customs and Health Regulations. Also assist in the clean up of an oil spill or any other emergency as required
- Is responsible to Supervise, monitor or act as port control & VTS operator. Become and remain familiar with all ports facilities and any changes associated with marine operations, including inspection of private jetties to determine suitability, as and when required
- Where applicable, conducts various marine related courses to junior staff
- Enforces the companies environmental standards and is reponsible to implement the companies Oil Spill response Plan for the Port
- Ensures that the Pilot Slip and the time sheet is dully completed and signed by the ship Master. The Marine Pilot monitors the performance and behavior of the port control & VTS operators, tug masters, pilot launch skippers, seamen and mooring seamen and offer the necessary guidance and advice, or report the same to the Harbor Master, as appropriate
Required Skills/ Job experience:
- The candidate must have a Foreign Sea going Master Mariner unlimited license, with at least 15 years sea experience, serving in all capacities
- Candidates who served as Marine Pilot within the last five years in berthing and unberthing all sizes and types of vessels in a harbor, channel or waterways have a strong preference
- Must have extensive knowledge of security standards, including crime scene investigations, co-ordination of activities with local law enforcement, and general property and knowledge of Security regulations (national, & international) a plus experience on security practices and knowledge of safety management practices and procedures, including accident investigation and reporting, hazardous materials standards, chemical protective standards, and the like
- Must have extensive knowledge of fire prevention standards, oil spill containment procedures, emergency response methods, respiratory protection, and personal protective equipment requirements
- Must have a working knowledge of managerial and leadership principles to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives
- Applicants must have excellent verbal and written communications skills in English and effective interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
How to apply:
Applicants who meet the requirements are requested to apply on line and send their CV at the attention of: Leon Humblet, Human Resources via email at: [email protected]. No reaction can be expected before all applications are analysed. We guarantee total confidentiality.
To learn more about APM Terminals, please visit the corporate website: www.apmterminals.com
Application closes 10th MARCH 2011