Posted on :
21 Jul, 2016
21 Jul, 2016
APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
Based in Tema, Ghana and reporting to the Portfolio Head MEAS (Middle East, Africa & Asia) in The Hague, the Head of Inland Services Africa will be responsible for directing strategic execution of multi-year business plans within the portfolio, as well as performance management of individual entities and proactive engagement with, and management of strategically important external stakeholders, such as governmental authorities, joint venture partners, and key customers.
The Africa Inland Services portfolio consists of 15 operating entities with presence in Ghana, Cameroon, Mauritania, Senegal, Mali, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Namibia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
The Inland Operation is primarily responsible for Import and Export full and empty container storage and related services, reefer management, bulk and break-bulk stevedoring and warehousing. The operation predominantly provides services to shipping lines and BCO’s (beneficial cargo owners) as well as clearing agents and transporters.
This position is strategic in nature, with specific focus on strategy execution, stakeholder management and performance management, supported by a fully accountable functional management team.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, culturally diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. Relevant next career steps could be a general management role in a terminal, or a senior functional role at Regional or Global level. The position will be based in Tema, Ghana.
Job Title: Head of Inland Services Africa
The Head of Inland Services Africa will be the head of Africa Inland Services portfolio organization, with specific responsibility for strategy alignment and execution, external stakeholder management, functional agenda drive, and entity performance management across the portfolio.
The successful candidate will be fully responsible and accountable for overall business performance and delivery on strategic objectives in the portfolio, as well as ensuring that strategy is cascaded and executed at entity level, and all strategic objectives and milestones are adhered to. He/she will have direct performance management responsibility for 6 directly reporting country managers and four functional roles (Finance, Operations, HSSE and Business Development), with a dotted reporting line for functional HR support.
• Ensure a profitable, high-performance organization delivering on financial targets as well as non-financial objectives.
• Drive a commercial culture within the portfolio including a clear organizational understanding of profit drivers, customer focus and a solid approach to sales management.
• Ensure competitive position of entities and build market presence and reputation of the Company by delivering profitable growth within existing and new products and services.
• Drive changes throughout the organization with focus on an increasingly competitive external market and an increasing part of growth coming from 3rd party customers.
• Drive innovation initiatives and cost efficiencies within the portfolio.
• Manage the company and entity structure, that best delivers the targets, including serving on boards where relevant, and be responsible for corporate governance.
• Coach direct reports for effective leadership. Personally engage and commit to build a diverse and strong talent pipeline.
• Facilitate development of relevant organizational capabilities to deliver on strategy, and ensure that high performing and high potential employees are developed in light of same.
• Build an organizational culture focused on strategy execution, systematic and structured data-driven decision making processes, as well as cross-entity collaboration.
• Ensure Health & Safety performance within the portfolio and wider Company, by achieving conformance with applicable HSSE legislation and policy, as well as building a living a safety culture.
• Build high employee engagement across all levels, locations and job functions.
• Evaluate and negotiate projects in cooperation with the rest of the regional business development function.
• Promote APM Terminals as the Container Terminal Operator/ Inland Service logistics provider of choice in Africa.
• Develop and deliver world class stakeholder management and establish second-to none relationships with key decision and policy makers.
• The position is multi-dimensional in nature, encompassing all business dimensions.
Who we are looking for
• A demonstrated professional standard of knowledge to lead teams through cross-functional and general management expertise.
• Bachelor degree holder. Master’s degree in Business Administration will be preferable.
• Minimum 10 years of related industry experience, such as shipping, port operations, logistics, freight forwarding, with at least several years of work experience in Africa.
• Effective negotiation and relationship building skills at strategic level.
• Strong stakeholder engagement and communication skills.
• Deep understanding of political and economic environment and current events in Africa.
• Outgoing and dynamic nature with the ability to identify strategic opportunities with an overall aligned framework.
• Excellent written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French would be a definite advantage.