The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We are on the ground in six continents and over 100 countries, bringing international opportunity to life, every day.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Purpose of job:
To provide safe and quality office support services to British Council Staff, Partners and Visitors as well as exams, projects and other programmes.
To always act professionally and demonstrate the Council’s values in all assignments.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
All duties and responsibilities will be in line with British Council’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, Child Protection and other overarching corporate policies:
- To support the Office in procurement and generalSAPrelated issues
- Ensure compliance with all BC Procurement standards, financial and anti-fraud processes
- Assist in all audit preparations.
Facilities and Asset Management
- Maintain a prioritised and updated facilities and asset task list at all times to ensure that properties and assets meet standards for health, safety, security and environmental impact.
- Maintain an up to date annual preventive maintenance schedule for assets and office equipment and follow up on all maintenance schedules for the office to ensure delivery
- Supervise the work of office cleaners and gardeners to ensure the beautification of the premises at all times.
- Supervise and coordinate all events setups at the Council.
- Assist in venue and vendor site inspection
- Monitor facilities bookings and ensure that records are always accurate
- Daily monitoring of the performance of service providers to ensure quality services at all times.
- Update the Fixed assets and inventory list for the office.
Health, Safety and Security
- To maintain British Council’s health, safety and security standards ensuring that fire safety regulations are met and regular fire drills and first aid training are held with staff once a year.
- Ensure timely renewal of fire certificate for the premises and regular maintenance and testing of all fire facilities installed as required by regulation.
- To oversee the activities of security guards in the premises to ensure strict compliance to agreed security arrangements and procedures.
- Ensure regular checks and maintenance of CCTV cameras and other security installations for optimum functioning at all times.
- Maintain up to date contract register and documentation for the office.
- Ensure all contracts are renewed on time and reviews are done in conjunction with the Resources Manager or respective Heads of Department.
- Ensure all contracts are delivered in accordance with the agreed terms and conditions
IT and Communication
- Work closely with Accra office to maintain IT and server equipment in good and reliable state at all times
- Ensure all communication systems are well maintained and efficient
Travel Arrangement/ staff support
- Efficient travel arrangement for staff travel
- Hotel booking and reservation management for staff and consultants in country.
- Liaise with Accra office for travel arrangements for all staff, consultants and partners
- Contributes to general office planning
- Efficient processing of staff identification and any other required documents.
- Ensure staff have all necessary stationery and working tools
- Help maintain a very cordial relationship between the Manhyia Palace and the British Council at all times
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of a first degree
- Office management skills
- Logistics management skill
- Facilities and asset management skills
- Procurement and contract management
- Knowledge of health, safety and security
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced working environment with tight deadlines
- Experience with organizing projects or events
- Basic computer skills