CARE works in 87 countries around the world to support over 900 poverty-fighting development and emergency projects.
Our mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world
Our Vision is seeking a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
Job Title: Project Coordinator
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Project Coordinator for Fa Ban Bo Project. Fa Ban Bo Project is a 4-year fisheries governance project funded by the EU and being implemented by a consortium of CARE (as the Lead), Friends of the Nation (FON) and Oxfam, in collaboration with other CSOs, fishing communities and government agencies.
The project seeks to contribute to sustainable fisheries resources management to improve food security, nutrition and livelihoods of smallholder fishers and other users of fishery resources in Ghana. The project will operate in the Western, Central, Greater Accra, and Volta regions, specifically in 27 coastal districts and 3 inland fishing districts.
The Fa Ban Bo project
Consortium, under the leadership of CARE, are expected to deliver the following key results by the end of the 4-year project period: 1) Empowered Smallholder Fishery Associations actively participate in Fisheries Governance; 2) Effective monitoring of Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated fishing (IUU) and a Grievance Mechanisms Piloted; and 3) Social and Economic Safeguards contribute to Improving Livelihoods and Nutritional Status of Smallholder Fishers and other Users of Fishery Resources.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for coordination and management of the implementation of project activities in collaboration with the Project team, Consortium members and in line with Donor requirements agreements, and the policies and procedure of CARE. Technical and strategic leadership support from CARE, FON and OXFAM may be provided to assure program quality and compliance.
S/he will be based in the Accra Office of CARE, with frequent travels to the project target districts in Western, Central, Greater Accra, and Volta regions, in liaison with other project staff and consortium members.
- Ensure Project coordination and management in accordance with Project agreements, Donors requirements and CARE policies and procedures, and in partnership with Consortium members.
- Liaise with consortium members and project team for the Development and/or implementation of Fa Ban Bo project visibility and communication strategy/plan.
- Facilitate needs assessments and capacity strengthening of smallholder fishery associations and other CSOs in the fisheries sector, for effective advocacy and participation in relevant Fisheries governance activities.
- Liaise with the Advocacy Media & Communication Officer from Oxfam to facilitate training of journalists and effective Media engagements.
- Liaise closely with FON to ensure that community-based IUU monitoring, reporting and grievance mechanisms are operational with an ICT tool linked to an online open platform for collecting and analysing IUU reports
- Liaise closely with FON and the project team, to ensure engagement with the Private Sector fishers’ association in developing a “Code of Conduct for IUU” for self-compliance, in line with VGGT principles.
- In collaboration with Consortium members, ensure that multi-stakeholder platforms as institutionalized spaces for interactions and dialogue with between fisheries sector agencies, fisher groups, civil society, and other fishery stakeholders to improve fishery governance and the sustainability of the sector.
- In collaboration with M&E officer and Oxfam ensure that an analysis of adverse impacts of capacity reduction strategies on the livelihoods of women and smallholder fishers, is conducted.
- Ensure implementation of project activities for livelihood diversification for affected fishers in target communities, including the roll out of community-managed saving and loan associations (the CARE VSLAs model) in project communities.
- Support and facilitate the use of community scorecards methodology for systematic feedback and dialogue with authorities access to basic services and responsiveness of district authorities to the needs of fishing communities
- Ensure mapping, demarcation and documentation of Fish landing beaches / sites, and related activities to ensure the availability, access and security of tenure of Lands for fishing landing, processing and marketing activities in project districts.
Other crosscutting areas of responsibility:
- Ensure Project Management/oversight Committee meetings and quarterly project coordination meetings are held in liaison with leadership of Consortium members.
- Provide orientation, coaching, counseling and supervisory support to supervisees and team members and demonstrating exemplary leadership in line with CARE core values.
- Ensure documentation of project implementation progress, results, impacts and lessons learnt to inform development and timely submission of donor reports and also for knowledge management.
Required Skills or Experience
- A minimum qualification of a first degree in Fisheries, Natural Resource Management, Environment and natural resource Governance, Developments studies or social studies
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Agriculture or Natural Resource Management will be an added advantage.
- At least 5years relevant experience especially in project management in the context of Environment and natural resource Governance, civil society capacity building and partnership management, and promoting gender equality,
- Experience and / understanding of the fisheries sector in Ghana and related CSOs policy advocacy issues in the sector
- Experience in working with local communities, partnership with local NGOs and District Assemblies structures
- Knowledgeable in food security and nutrition issues
- Excellent facilitation, negotiation, networking, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent administrative and project planning skills, management and communication and report writing, monitoring, supervisory and coaching skills
- Proven competencies in designing and conducting training and workshops
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet)
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Critical thinking, creative and analytical
- Excellent professionalism and relationship building skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and work in a team
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to
The HR Officer,
or electronically to [email protected] .
PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
Closing date for submission of applications is Friday, 3rd March, 2017.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY