CARE International is one of the World’s leading humanitarian and development organizations. Founded in 1945, CARE has been fighting global poverty and defending the dignity of people around the world, working in over 90 countries around the globe.
CARE started operations in Ghana in 1994 and have for the past 23 years, has partnered government agencies, multinational and Civil Society organizations to undertake interventions in the areas of education, food and nutrition security, financial inclusion, women’s empowerment, governance, among others.
Job Title: Community Extension Agent
CARE has a vision of a world of hope where all live in dignity and security… do you want to help us achieve this vision? CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Community Extension Agent for a Cocoa Extension Project in partnership with Mondelez International.
This is a 2-year project aimed at increasing cocoa productivity and sustainable access to food crops; enhancing farmer organization and bargaining power of cocoa farmers; and increasing the capacity of community leaders to own and lead their development processes.
The project will be implemented in 44 communities in the Wassa-East district of the Western region.
The Community Extension Agent (CEA) will be based in a project community and will be required to travel to other project communities in the Daboase District of the Western region to provide extension service. The CEA will report directly to the Project Facilitator, based in the district capital.
The CEA will be responsible for providing extension services to a minimum of 11 communities in the Wassa East district, writing weekly and monthly reports on his/ her activities and submitting them to the Project Facilitator, as well as undertaking any adhoc project activities that may come up. Specifically, the CEA will be responsible for leading, with support from the Project Facilitator, in the implementation of farmer-based interventions in the project communities
- Asses the needs of farmers in assigned communities to inform segmentation and provide service support or targeted training to specific needs of farmer categories in assigned communities
- Support individual farmers or groups of farmers to develop their management plans
- Facilitate the transfer of responsibility for maintenance of community-owned demonstration farms to Cocoa Cooperative societies and Community Development Committees.
- Facilitate access to fertilizers and chemicals for demonstration farms in assigned communities
- Organize four trainings per year per community on Good Agronomic Practices in assigned communities
- Support the development and maintenance of demonstration farms for cocoa and selected food crops based on specific needs identified in assigned communities
- Work with PF to support cocoa farmers to access planting material through the help of MDLZ Ghana team.
- Work with PF and Cocoa Cooperative Unions to engage Tree Global to raise climate- smart cocoa seedlings for sale to cocoa farmers
- Liaise with MOFA and Agri seed to help farmers have access to climate- smart food and vegetable planting materials, with support from PF and PM
- Train youth in assigned communities and other identified entrepreneurs in cocoa communities to raise cocoa seedlings for sale to cocoa farmers.
- Facilitate the establishment of Food Crop Demonstration Farms in assigned communities
- Use the Farmer Field Business School approach to train farmers in sustainable production of variety of food crops i.e. cassava, plantain, maize etc. in assigned communities
- Identify and mapping certified agro input companies with support from PF
- Liaise with PF to organize district level input fairs and to facilitate linkages with input companies and supporting cocoa cooperative unions to establish cocoa input shops to serve union members.
- Monitor and evaluate community level activities and submit reports to the Project facilitator, using approved templates
- Work with Project Facilitator and partners in planning and organizing training workshops for community groups and others as may be required
Required Skills or Experience
- A first degree in Agriculture, or related field
- At least Two years’ post qualification of practical experience in a cocoa community development project environment, working with communities, Community Based Organisations (CBOs) especially Farmer-based Organizations (FBOs) and other NGOs
- Relevant experience in capacity building activities and working with cocoa farming communities, CBOs, traditional institutions, NGOs and public sector agencies
- Excellent communication skills and good team player
- Experience in facilitating linkages, relationship building and networking
- Experienced in smallholder agri-business and capacity building
- Good speaking and writing skills in English and ability to communicate in Twi (Akan
- Well developed written and oral communication skills in English. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders (strong demonstrable report writing skills).
- Strong facilitation, People Skills, Integrity and Resilience / Adaptation and flexibility
- Ability to multitask and work within deadlines;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Outlook
- Experience in community mobilization and training is an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to [email protected].
- PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
- Closing date for submission of applications is Tuesday 25th September, 2018.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY