CARE International is one of the World’s leading humanitarian and development organizations. Founded in 1945, CARE has been fighting global poverty and defending the dignity of people around the world, working in over 90 countries around the globe.
CARE started operations in Ghana in 1994 and have for the past 23 years, has partnered government agencies, multinational and Civil Society organizations to undertake interventions in the areas of education, food and nutrition security, financial inclusion, women’s empowerment, governance, among others.
Job Title: Project Manager
CARE has a vision of a world of hope where all live in dignity and security… do you want to help us achieve this vision? CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Project Manager for a Cocoa Extension Project in partnership with Mondelez International. This is a 2-year project aimed at increasing cocoa productivity and sustainable access to food crops; enhancing farmer organization and bargaining power of cocoa farmers; and increasing the capacity of community leaders to own and lead their development processes.
The project will be implemented in 44 communities in the Wassa-East district of the Western region.
- The Project Manager has responsibility for the overall successful implementation of the project.
- S/He will provide technical and managerial support to the project team (Project Officer, Facilitators and Community Extension agents) and partners in ensuring smooth implementation of the project to achieve project objectives.
- S/He has responsibility for maintaining effective working relationships with the Programme Coordinating Unit of Mondelez International and other stakeholders, with the support of the Sub Office Team Leader, CIUK Private Sector Team and ACD- Programmes.
- S/He will represent CARE at programme meetings. S/He will facilitate learning among project team and stakeholders.
- S/He has overall responsibility for ensuring the implementation of the M&E system of the programme.
- The PM will report directly to the ACD-Programme and will be based in the Kumasi Sub-Office.
- Build team and individual staff capacity to work together with partners towards achieving required results.
- Make regular field visits to staff to provide motivation, technical assistance and coaching
- Design, develop and implement project strategies and work plans, ensuring they are in line with the Mondelez International Cocoa Life programme objectives, strategies and principles, and CARE’s mission and vision.
- Design and implement project approaches and methodologies aiming towards community empowerment, partner capacity building, partnerships and policy influence as well as lesson learning.
- Design and lead regular planning, monitoring and reporting to the Mondelez International Programme Coordinating Unit (PCU) through CARE International UK.
- Implement, monitor and evaluate activities in collaboration with partners and other stakeholders, so as to ensure the efficient and effective achievement of programme objectives
- Ensure synergy and coherence of the project within CARE Ghana programming, especially other cocoa value chain and livelihood projects.
- Ensure production and dissemination of relevant, quality and user friendly information from the project.
- Manage programme budgets, including tracking of financial and material resources using established budget management tools and systems.
- Prepare, with support from the Finance Team/Grants Manager, project implementation and financial reports according to the Individual Project Implementation Agreement (IPIA) with CARE International UK and other donor requirements.
- Maintain documentation of project process, progress and results and provide information and reports appropriately as required
- Negotiate MoUs, SOWs, TORs and contracts to formalize partnerships in conformity to CARE and donor procedures and requirements
- Develop and maintain positive linkages with relevant district, regional and national government institution staff in District Assemblies especially MOFA as well as COCOBOD subsidiaries.
- Design and establish effective communication systems and channels among beneficiary communities, extension agents, service providers and government authorities.
Required Skills or Experience
- A minimum qualification of university degree in Agriculture, Agriculture Economics, Development Planning, Social Science or related field
- Masters degree in any of the above will be an added advantage
- At least five years experience in working with smallholder farmers, communities, Community Based Organisations (CBOs) and traditional institutions, NGOs and public sector agencies
- Experience in administration is an added advantage
- Five years experience in project management position preferably in NGO setting; facilitating agricultural value chain interventions
- Proven strong facilitation and capacity development skills and experience in participatory approaches. Ability to negotiate and work with partners and organisations at all levels from community to national level policy makers
- Good understanding of socio-economic issues
- Strategic and conceptual thinking ability
- Good knowledge of agricultural value chain program design and implementation
- Excellent communication skills and a team player
- Good spoken English and excellent writing skills, plus ability to speak Twi
- Sound managerial skills and Multitasking
- A Good Relationship Skill and a good learning portfolio
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver
- Excellent Writing, presentation and reporting skills
- Computer skills including MS Word, MS excel and Power Point.
- Ability to manage partnerships with local partners
- Strong skills in the design and implementation of M & E systems
- People Management
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to [email protected].
- PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
- Closing date for submission of applications is Tuesday 25th September, 2018.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY