Posted on :
25 Nov, 2013
25 Nov, 2013
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peace Building, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and Education programs.
Job Title: Field Officer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
• Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and, Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the worl
CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES-GHANA PROGRAM
• Position – Field Officer – I-SHINE Project (6)
• Department: Programming
• Unit: Health
• Location of Duty: District- based (East & West Mamprusi, Mamprugu Moadguri,
• Kasena Nankana West, Talensi, Nabdam)
• Band: C
• Reports to: Project Specialists
A United States based Foundation has approved the CRS Ghana’s Integrated Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition for Education (I-SHINE) Project for a period of three years.
The I-SHINE is a three year project (January 01, 2014 to December 31, 2016) targeting 120 schools across six districts ( three each in Northern and Upper East Regions) of Ghana with the goal of contributing to improving the health and well-being of vulnerable children in six districts in Northern and Upper East Regions of Ghana . I-SHINE Project will be implemented by CRS Ghana in partnership with the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Ghana Education Service (GES) and the District Water and Sanitation Teams of the beneficiary District Assemblies.
The primary function of the I-SHINE Field Officer is provide field level technical leadership and facilitative to the project implementation team and partners to ensure accomplishment of the Integrated Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition for Education (I-SHINE) Project objectives and results, while meeting expected technical quality standards
Work with the Project Specialist in CRS sub-office in Tamale and with partners (Ghana Education Service, Ghana Health Services and the District Water and Sanitation Teams) in implementation of school and community-based WASH activities.
This includes community mobilization and sensitization, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) promotion, distributions project supplies and logistics, partner monitoring and project monitoring, project support in beneficiary selection and registration, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, coordination, and reporting.
Specifically, the Field Officer will:
• Mobilize and sensitize communities on key project strategies to ensure community ownership of projects
• Work closely with Technical Component Specialists in the implementation of key project components at the school and community levels
• Coordinate and or lead step down training of community-based agents in the implementation of I-SHINE Project activities
• Establish, identify and train/ facilitate the training of WASH Mentors and Nutrition Champions and Sanitation Advocacy Groups (SAG)
• Support WASH Mentors, Nutrition Champions and SILC meetings during project implementation and monitoring
• Provide regular feedback to component specialists (Nutrition/SILC, WASH and Community Mobilization ), point persons of implementing partners and ensure proper project tracking, record keeping as well as field level documentation of project activities
• Compile project reports highlighting project impact against indicators.
• As delegated by the component specialists, liaise with project staff partner staff document and share lessons learned, experience and human interest stories related to project activities.
• Conduct any other programming responsibility delegated by the Project Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Management
• Collaborate with project implementing partners and the target communities to undertake all activities aimed at enhancing the achievement of project strategic objectives
• Support the capacity building programs for Ghana Education Service and Ghana Health Service and community members in all the project strategies as outlined in the technical narrative of the project document
• Collaborate with project component specialists and partners to develop annual work plans to ensure their timely implementation
• In collaboration with the GHS, GES and the Community Based Agents to facilitate data gathering, analysis and reporting based on standard scientific processes and methods
• In collaboration with the component specialists to identify and promptly resolve all trouble-shooting issues as they arise within the team and work on team building and team communication.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
• Support the conduct of targeted assessments and surveys on timely basis
• In collaboration with the component specialists to ensure accurate data processing and timely reporting on project activities
• In collaboration with the M&E specialist, monitor I-SHINE project activities the schools and communities
• Support review and assure timely completion and submission of project reports to the Project Coordinator via component specialists
• Work closely with M&E Specialist, key component specialists to supervise key community-based agents (Sanitation and Advocacy Groups, WASH Mentors and Nutrition Champions) on the M&E requirements of the project, and to assure that the I-SHINE Project meets set goals and objectives
Key Working Relationships
• Internal: CRS I-SHINE Project Coordinator – Health and other line Managers, Nutrition/SILC Specialist M&E Specialist, and other Field Officers
• External: District Directors of Health and Education Services in target districts
Qualification Required & Experience
• Diploma in Social Work, Community Development, Public and/or Environmental Health or related field with experience in Water and Sanitation projects or equivalent degree
• Professional experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion activities is desirable
• Flexibility; ability to work as a team in a multicultural context
• Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
• Computer skills in Microsoft (Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint) office
• Experience in training and providing technical support to partners/community-based agents
• Excellent English and oral communication skills especially in local language of duty post
• Strong team building skills as well as Willingness to spend 90% of time in the field
• Ability to ride motorbike in rough terrain
• Physically fit, able to go to remote villages for 4 hours.
• Set clear goals and work towards achieving them
• Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
• Manages financial resources with integrity
• Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
• Upholds a Spirit of Service and Integrity
• Cultivates Constructive and Collegial Relationships
• Models Principled Stewardship
• Promotes continuous learning and innovation
Note: List of responsibilities, professional and personal skills are considered indicative and not exhaustive; actual duties may differ or change depending on office and agency priorities at the time.
How To Apply For The Job
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and letter of interest to:
Application must be saved with this format:- Application.CV.(Name).I-SHINE Project Coordinator
Closing Date: 05 December, 2013
• CRS is an equal opportunity employer.
• Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply