Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Job Title: Project Officer
As a member of the Rural Emergency Health Service and Transport for System Development (REST4D) project team, you will monitor and report on all project activities in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve. This will be achieved through providing technical guidance to implementing partners to achieve quality MCH programs and ensure appropriate documentation is available for strategic and policy influencing work.
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Support to mobilize and sensitize communities on key project strategies including the Council of Champions (CoC) concept, Link Providers (LP) concept, MMTA strategy, iMBC concept, Clean Clinic Approach (CCA) and the CHPs Excellence District (CED) model.
- Develop and manage relationships with partner organizations especially in implementing districts and communities to ensure the effective implementation of sustainable MCH strategies in communities and health care facilities.
- Ensure that gender, protection, local culture, and other important cross-cutting concerns are considered in program implementation, especially in ensuring that gender issues are considered in the selection and training of Community Based Agents (CBAs) for the REST4D project.
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Actively seek and respond to feedback from all members of targeted communities and other stakeholders.
- Collect information on technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practice
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
75% of time (day trips)
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: REST4D Senior Project Officers, Community Mobilization, REST4D Senior Project Officer, MEAL, REST4D Project Manager, Health Technical Advisor, MEAL Coordinator.
External: Ghana Health Service, District Assemblies, Local Leaders/Chiefs, District Director of Health Services.
- University degree in Public Health, Nutrition, development, or any other relevant professional background in Maternal and Child Health
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support. Experience in the field of MCH programming and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Possession of License to ride a motorcycle
- Knowledge of local language would be preferable
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members.
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of local level issues
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer