Municipal Finance Specialist
CHF International is an international development organization founded in 1952 that works in post-conflict, unstable and developing countries. We partner with communities around the world to help them to direct the improvement of their lives and livelihoods. We believe that the people best suited to decide what a community needs are the people of the community itself. CHF is a politically neutral, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, that prides itself on an approach which is accountable, efficient and effective.
CHF International is recruiting a Municipal Finance Specialist to provide technical assistance to the project’s Municipal Government Partners especially, Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly in exploring innovative approaches in increasing revenue generation for improved municipal service delivery to the urban poor.
The Municipal Finance Specialist to be based in Sekondi-Takoradi, will occasionally travel to Accra, working closely with and supporting the revenue enhancement activities of STMA and AMA. He/she will work closely with the project’s technical team and the STMA Project Coordinator, and reporting directly to the Program Director of IncluCity in Accra, in the conduct of daily duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the lead project staff on municipal finance, providing support to the Program Director and Team in providing of technical assistance in program implementation with partners;
- Study global municipal finance practices, contextualize the lessons and lead the development of the program’s framework for financial and technical assistance including an assessment of the current systems in both Accra and Sekondi-Takoradi, and develop detailed terms of reference on what the program can accomplish to the program’s with its partners;
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating the performance of property tax reforms activities/interventions in the two municipalities;
- Assist in reviewing documentation of resources / Consultants used as required for all aspects of Municipal finance support in the program;
- Work with additional resources or consultants for Municipal finance purposes on the program;
- Conduct periodic assessments of the progress of capacity building activities to the assemblies in the light of the program’s benchmarks, plan the gaps and deliver assistance accordingly;
- Prepare and submit monthly workplans on technical assistance to be provided
- Contribute to the development of monthly and annual program reports on the project.
- Assists in the planning, coordination, and documentation of meetings, workshops, seminars and other activities of the project, focusing on municipal finance;
- Document all processes and out puts and lessons learnt on municipal finance interventions
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all duties at CHF International. CHF reserves the right to change and update the position descriptions at any time.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, public administration, public finance, development studies (or related discipline) or other relevant field required. A professional qualification relating to municipal finance will be a plus;
- Minimum of 6 years relevant experience in Municipal Financial Planning and budgeting, public sector reform and finance in related field in either government or development sectors;
- Experience in fiscal decentralization reforms, including financial management systems to support decentralized common fund management;
- Demonstrated understanding of Ghana’s fiscal decentralization and municipal finance environment / system;
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders including donors, local partners, private and public sectors (particularly, metropolitan authorities and municipal services);
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in Ghana’s local government system and property taxes systems;
- Experience in GIS supported property tax system is desired;
- Very good written and spoken English language proficiency;
- High degree of computer literacy; MS Excel and MS Word and basic understanding of GIS are essential;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and respect deadlines;
- Strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented setting; and
- Experience in working in Ghana and knowledge of global municipal finance practices will be a huge advantage
- How do handle several guests simultaneously
How To Apply
Application should be forwarded to:
Closing 19 Nov, 2011