Kinross is a Canadian-based Gold mining company with its head office in Toronto, and have mines and projects in the United States, Canada, Russia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana and Mauritania, and employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide. Our core values are putting people first, outstanding corporate citizenship, high performance culture and rigorous financial discipline. We are dynamic, innovative, and passionate about who we are and how we work, and we do not compromise when it comes to doing the right thing in the communities where we operate. At Kinross, we pride ourselves on being skilled, responsible operators who strive not only to meet, but to exceed, regulatory requirements for both environmental and health and safety performance, wherever we operate. Putting people first is a core Kinross value, and our chief priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of every employee and contractor who works for us.
Job Title: Geotechnical Engineer
- Incumbent will provide Technical Support to the Underground Operations Team and oversee to all Underground Mining activities.
- To follow, and ensure compliance to established policies, practices and procedures when completing work assignments.
- Ensure relevant Safety, Mining and other statutory Codes and Regulations remain in full compliance.
- Participate actively in CGML Continuous Improvement program.
- Inspect underground geotechnical activities at start of shift to ensure correct procedures are being followed and all personnel are present.
- Maintain a positive and close working relationship with other groups in the mine to ensure smooth mining processes.
- Comply and ensure compliance, with established methodologies and quality standards related to mine operations while at the same time recommending new or alternate approaches.
- Co-coordinate the collection of data, its analysis and evaluation in order to ensure sound designs.
- Work closely with the Mine Planning Engineers and Geologists within the Technical Services department as well as with Operations to ensure robust and safe designs.
- Ensure underground/pit wall stability and quality control of support measures through the supervision of ground control, quality and testing programs
- Refine stope designs and extraction sequences to optimise mine longevity and ore recovery
- Ensure that safety and welfare of employees is top priority at all times in the work site
- Any other job assigned by the Supervisor.
Required Skills or Experience
- BSc degree in Geological or Mining Engineering, preferably with specialisation in Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Mechanics
- Good operating knowledge and interpretation skill of numerical modelling tools such as DIPS, UNWEDGE, MAP3D and PHASE2
- Experience of using Surpac
- 3-5 years of related work experience and must not be more than 30 years of age
- Complete knowledge of the Underground Mining environment
- Knowledge of various underground, narrow vein mining methods
- Holder of Mine Rescue and valid 1st Aid Certificates will be an added advantage
- Valid Ghanaian Driving License and ability to drive underground.
How to Apply
Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications should send their CVs and copies of relevant certificates to the address below not later than 31st March, 2018:
The Human Resources Manager Chirano Gold Mines Limited P. O. Box 57 Bibiani
Please indicate ONLY the position in the subject area when applying online.