Kinross is a Canadian-based Gold mining company with its head office in Toronto, and have mines and projects in the United States,Canada, Russia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana and Mauritania, and employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide.
Our core values are putting people first, outstanding corporate citizenship, high performance culture and rigorous financial discipline. We are dynamic, innovative, and passionate about who we are and how we work,and we do not compromise when it comes to doing the right thing in the communities where we operate.
At Kinross, we pride ourselves on being skilled, responsible operators who strive not only to meet, but to exceed, regulatory requirements for both environmental and health and safety performance, wherever we operate. Putting people first is a core Kinross value, and our chief priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of every employee and contractor who works for us.
Job Title: Health, Safety & Environment Officer – Underground Operations (6 months contract)
- To co-ordinate the Health, Safety & Environment programme geared towards promotion of Safety & Health and prevention of personal injuries and property loss at the underground operations of the Mine.
- To co-ordinate the Environment program towards proper and acceptable environmental practices, training, implementation and monitoring so as to satisfy the basic environmental requirements at the Underground Operations and its adjoining facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in identifying and correcting unsafe work practices or conditions before accident occur, through regular inspection and fostering the safety attitude among the workforce during these visits.
- Assist in conducting planned inspection/audits using checklist periodically, aimed at evaluating compliance with standards and checking the state of safety of all equipment.
- Assist in ensuring that all the statutory requirements that have bearing on occupational health and Safety are complied with.
- Participate in inspections and inquiries by the Mine Inspectors
- Assist in conducting formal risk assessment of the underground activities and ensure that all significant risks identified from the risk assessment as well as all other sources, such as audit reports, are captured and that appropriate corrective actions are planned and implemented.
- Assist in conducting investigations into the causes of all accidents, recommending and enforcing the implementation of remedial measures to prevent recurrence.
- Assist in conducting periodic planned job observations on various categories of the workmen to enhance safe work practices
- Assist in conducting periodic on-the-job training for the various categories of workers to heighten their safety awareness to ensure they carry out their tasks in a safety manner.
- Assist in ensuring that the quality PPE supplied to workmen and other working equipment and tools meet CGML standards and enforce their use where necessary.
- Performs with considerable degree of independent accountability, technical work in support of the department’s core functions and processes
- Duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment.
- Other duties assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
- Must possess BSc or Diploma in Mining, Sciences or Engineering with minimum of 3 years of UG HSE exposure
- Must possess Ghanaian’s Driver’s License and HSE Competency certification from IDMC.
- Must possess computer skills and be familiar with Safety & environment management/business solutions (software)
- Good in hazard spotting across a wide range of disciplines.
- Work on own and as part of a small team and also take initiative and prioritize workload.
- Proactive and with good problem solving skills.
- Good general standard of education and spoken and written English
How to Apply
Applicants with the requisite skills & qualifications are to apply to the address below not later than 6th November 2018:
The Human Resources Manager Chirano Gold Mines Limited P. O. Box 57 Bibiani
Applicants are to indicate ONLY the position in the subject area when applying online.