Posted on :
30 Nov, 2017
30 Nov, 2017
The Ghana council for Scientific and Industrial Research is a national scientific and technological institution mandated to carry out research into science and technology issues that pertain to national development. The CSIR was established in October 1968 and re-established in its present form by council for Scientific and Industrial Research Act, 1996, Act 521. By Act 521, the CSIR is required to promote, encourage and regulate research and the application of science and technology for national development. The Act further requires the CSIR to encourage and promote the commercialization of research results. From its Head Office in Accra, the CSIR oversees and coordinates the activities of thirteen (13) research institutes including the CSIR-Oil’ Palm Research Institute (OPRI). The Act is available on the CSIR website www.csir.org.gh.
The mandate of the CSIR-OPRI is to undertake sustainable and demand-driven research aimed at providing scientific and technological support for the development of the entire oil palm and coconut industries in Ghana.
Job Title: Director Of CSIR- Oil Palm Research Institute
The successful applicant will:
• Serve as the Head of the institute and will be responsible to the Director-General for the day-to-day administration of the affairs ot the institute.
• Establish effective linkages with relevant institutions and agencies within and outside the CSIR,
• Coordinate prioritised research of the institute under the broad guidance of the Director-General.
• Promote the transfer of technology to industry/agricultural business and commercialisation of research in general.
• Coordinate research funding initiatives, and provide services and inputs to determine corporate research priorities, as well as formulate and implement Science and Technology Plans.
• Be responsible for the overall management and development of the human resource base of the institute.
Age Limit: The applicant must be 56 years or less.
Tenure: The position is for five (4) years in the first instance, and may be renewed subject to satisfactory performance on the job
Salary: The salary is attractive with fringe benefits.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A PhD degree or equivalent qualification in Agriculture or Biological sciences from a recognised University or institution.
• Not less than 12 years experience in Research and Development (R & D), including at least 5 years of successful experience in a management position.
• Distinguished research contribution as evidenced by scientific publications. The research output should be adjudged to be at least equivalent to that of an Associate Professor/Principal Research Scientist.
• Ability to organise, direct, and co-ordinate activities within a Research Institute for national development.
• Good knowledge of the agencies in the relevant Sectors, as well as the ability to interact with top management in other institutions and agencies.
• Proven ability to inspire research staff and supporting personnel.
• Ability to generate and attract funding, both internally and externally, to support research activities.
• Ability to translate policy decisions into action programmes.
• Good interpersonal relations.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to submit the following in addition to the application letter: • Full Curriculum Vitae • Names and Addresses of three (3) confidential referees. • A 3-4 page Vision Statement for the advertised position.
• Application should be forwarded to the following address not later than 22nd December, 2017. THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL COUNCIL FOR
SCIENTIRC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH P. 0. BOX M.32, ACCRA TEL. 233-0302-777940 Applications may also be brought personally to the CSIR Head Office, off Agostino Neto Road, Accra. (Opposite the Chinese Embassy.)
Closing Date: 22 December, 2017