As a Legal Officer, you will work closely with all teams across various jurisdictions and assist them with their legal services requests. You will also work proactively in managing the legal risks and provide legal guidance to the respective teams.
You have strong relationship-building skills, proven experience in negotiating and closing agreements, the ability to clarify and summarize complex issues and strong attention to detail. You also possess high comprehensive analytical skills regarding projects and interactions with internal and external stakeholders and the ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management.
Your duties include providing legal advice and opinion, drafting and/or reviewing legal documents, handling corporate affairs, liaising with outside counsels… You will report to the Group Head of Legal and Regulatory.
Job Title: Legal & Regulatory Affairs
- Advising on legal and regulatory frameworks, especially in the telecommunications industry across multiple jurisdictions in Africa
- Assisting in the evaluation, structure and close of business opportunities and market entrance
- Ensuring compliance with relevant legislation (e.g. Telecoms law, Competition Law, Consumer Protection Law etc.) throughout the company and keeping abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company
- Providing guidance on a variety of legal and regulatory issues, by monitoring the legal service requests and proactively advising the teams on matters which may pose significant risk to the company
- Assisting the Head of Legal and Regulatory Affairs in handling general corporate secretarial matters, including resolutions, board and general meetings, formalities…
- Directing the work of external counsel engaged on various matters, including corporate secretarial matters, documentation reviews, litigations…
- Initiating and leading interactions with customers or partners where appropriate to resolve complex legal matters.
- Research, build and maintain strong direct relationships with key stakeholders, including regulatory bodies.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law from an accredited Law School
- A minimum of 5 years’ legal experience gained within a reputable law firm and/or a telco/IT company as an in-house
- Master’s degree in Law from an accredited Law School
- Work experience within Africa country or able to work with various jurisdictions
- Proven ability to handle ambiguity, work collaboratively with internal and partner contacts, influence cross-functional teams.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including writing
- Ability to make prompt, clear and considered legal decisions involving operations across the multiple jurisdictions
- Flexibility on regional travel if need be
- Ability to perform research on and assist with execution on several time-sensitive project/deals at once in a fast paced environment with minimal direction.