Solidaridad West Africa is a not-for-profit organization that supports the sustainable development of farmers and production systems in West Africa, through the enhancement of value chains of fresh and processed agricultural commodities and other non-agricultural commodities.
Our activities in West Africa are focused on fresh fruits, oil palm, gold, cotton, maize, soy and cocoa. As the Regional Expertise Center (REC) within Solidaridad’s international network, we are part of a growing global movement advocating and supporting sustainable and responsible production and trade.
As the Regional Expertise Center (REC) within Solidaridad’s international network, SWA focuses on stimulating sustainable supply chains through innovations in good practices, robust infrastructure, sustainable landscapes management and enabling policy environment.
Solidaridad trains producers in best practices to produce more with less. We provide capacity building to producer organizations and enable them to access knowledge, inputs, finance, and markets. We develop and promote the integration of good economic, social and environmental management into standard business and production practices.
Solidaridad regional office is based in Accra, Ghana and currently has program activities and operations in Senegal, Mali, Cote D’Ivoire, Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Sierra Leone
Job Title: Senior Climate Expert
Report To: Regional Director based in Ghana
Duty Station: Monrovia, Liberia
The Senior Climate Expert, among other things, will be responsible for the following activities:
- The development and implementation of the regional climate strategy, in close coordination with Solidaridad Network’s Global Climate Task Force. Main thematic areas include the development and monitoring of adaptation & mitigation strategies in our commodity and landscape projects.
- In addition, the Expert is expected to pay attention to the development and implementation of “benefit sharing mechanisms” to bridge the gap between climate finance and (agricultural) producer livelihoods.
- As a data-driven organization, the senior climate expert will take lead in measuring producer performance and developing innovative monitoring tools to measure climate performance.
- liaise between the climate change community (where tools and systems are developed), the IT and PME department of Solidaridad (that integrate climate parameters in monitoring systems) and the practitioners on the ground (who work with agricultural producers – our main target group).
- Play key role in providing expertise, engaging with policy actors, raising funds (includes new project proposals) development and coordinating the efforts of the regional team relating to climate-smart initiatives, programmes, projects and activities.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership in all climate change related topics within the REC West Africa, REC East/Central Africa and REC Southern Africa. This calls for close working collaboration with the directors of the three regions.
- Provide technical backstopping to each of the REC’s climate teams as may be necessary for the attainment of planned annual objectives and activities in line with the respective regions’ Multi-Annual Strategic Plans.
- The Senior Climate Expert, is a member of the Solidaridad Network Climate Change (Innovation) task force and will operate from Monrovia (Liberia) given the enormous opportunities to attract climate investments into West Africa since Liberia has the highest bi-diverse hotspot in West Africa.
- A unique and challenging job within an inspiring and international setting, and the chance to contribute to our innovation area – Climate Innovation;
- The opportunity to work with an innovative and dedicated network of professionals across the globe;
- Full-time position, with an initial 2-year contract with opportunity for extension; a remunerative and competitive salary package, depending on education and experience;
- Frequent international travel is expected particularly across the African region.
Required Skills or Experience
- A higher degree (Masters Level and above) in Agriculture, Forestry, Environment/Climate Science, Natural Resource Management, or other related specializations.
- At least five years proven experience (within national and international settings) in climate-smart agriculture and/or agriculture-related avoided deforestation (REDD+) projects / programmes;
- Experience in implementation and monitoring of climate smart agriculture projects, preferably with adaptation focus;
- Familiarity with National or Regional climate change initiatives (REDD+, national action plans), and global UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement. Knowledge of and/or experience with the Green Climate Fund and/or the World Bank Group climate funds is desirable;
- Knowledge and experience in working with government and donor agencies
- Proposal writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to work proactively in complex projects with staff within different time zones and a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong communication skills with good command of English Language (oral and written).
- Creative and pragmatic approach to problem solving; well-organized and results- oriented.
How to Apply
Please send a one-page motivation letter (addressed to the Regional Director, Solidaridad West Africa) and a resume in English to [email protected], and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject header.
The closing date for this vacancy is Tuesday 20th June, 2017.
For more information about Solidaridad please visit our website: www.solidaridadnetwork.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.