Posted on :
4 Jan, 2017
4 Jan, 2017
WaterAid has been present in Ghana since 1985, working with policy makers and eight local development partners.
Water, sanitation and hygiene education projects are carried out in six out of ten of the country’s regions, helping to improve access to water and sanitation for some of Ghana’s poorest people.
Community led solutions and systems are put in place to help empower local communities and people so that they can help themselves to take the first steps out of poverty.
Job Title: Head of Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns
Working with the Policy, Advocacy & Campaigns (PAC) team and reporting to the Country Director, the Head-of Policy, Advocacy & Campaigns will lead the overall delivery of WaterAid Ghana’s (WAG’s) advocacy agenda.
The post holder will contribute to strategic decision making in the WaferAid Ghana Country Programme (CP) management as well as manage other members of staff in the Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns Department (PACD).
Key roles and responsibilities include:
• Facilitate the effective implementation of WAG’s Country Programme Strategy
• Develop and deploy templates, tools and guiding frameworks in support of the implementation of the Country Programme Strategy
• Contribute to Senior Management Team (SMT) decision making processes on audit issues/risk management. recruitment, overall performance of staff and partners.
• Provide strategic leadership for the Country Programme and its partners’ role in contributing to the implementation of the SDGs, WaterAid (WA) influencing priorities that include ‘Healthy Start’ (integrating WASH and Health), sector strengthening, among others.
• Participate actively in high level sector meetings in and outside the country programme and contributing to pro-poor policy discourses in the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector, and
• Play a key role in WAG’s effort towards becoming an independent entity
• Support and Challenge the PAC staff to put up impressive performance and manage finances and other resources in a manner that reflects the values of Water Aid
• Create trust and demonstrate courage in coaching staff in PACD, other departments and support partnerships towards building people’s power for high performance.
• Work effectively with other departments to promote policy practice linkages, and the culture of learning/knowledge management
• Work with other departments to build and review capacities of staff and partners on new frameworks, templates, processes and monitor their implementation
• Champion the application of agreed approaches such as District Wide Approach (DWA), Human Rights-Based Approach (HRBA), and Endogenous Development (ED) approach etc.’ that will enhance WAG’s effectiveness and
• Create and take advantage of existing platforms to build staff and partners/stake holders capacity and review performances on regular basis.
• Play leadership roles in coordinating and reviewing WAG’s reports, ensuring that they are of high quality and reflect WA’s overarching strategic thrust, and
• Work with Regional Learning Centres and Campaigns and Communication units to regularity produce abridged versions and simplified knowledge management materials for influencing, fundraising and WAG image branding.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Work closely with the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation unit to track progress of country strategy implementation in particular generating evidence of WAG’s contributions towards
• reaching marginalised populations with WASH services through influencing, and
• Work with others to maximise WAG’s impact from a conscious policy – practice engagement culture
Qualification Required & Experience
• Degree in Public Policy or Administration, Social Science, Government, Development Studies, or relevant discipline. Masters Degree in Public Policy/Administration and Management, Governance desirable.
• 6-8 years of practical experience in Policy,Advocacy and Campaigns
• Experience in engagement with the WASH sector at the highest level towards the realisation of the SDGs; Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, civil society groups, development partners and communities
• Experience in developing and managing the implementation of rights-based approaches and other participatory approaches to development
• Experience of developing proposals and coordinating ideas for managing donor relationships
• Experience working with Civil society coalitions and networks and
• Experience in managing national and international campaigns desirable
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates should send their applications (letter of interest and resume) via email to:
Closing Date: 30 December, 2016
Please Note: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.