Kinross is a Canadian-based Gold mining company with its head office in Toronto, and have mines and projects in the United States,Canada, Russia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana and Mauritania, and employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide.
Our core values are putting people first, outstanding corporate citizenship, high performance culture and rigorous financial discipline. We are dynamic, innovative, and passionate about who we are and how we work,and we do not compromise when it comes to doing the right thing in the communities where we operate.
At Kinross, we pride ourselves on being skilled, responsible operators who strive not only to meet, but to exceed, regulatory requirements for both environmental and health and safety performance, wherever we operate. Putting people first is a core Kinross value, and our chief priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of every employee and contractor who works for us.
Job Title: Underground Mine Captain
Responsibilities & Duties
- Abide strictly by the dictates of the Ghanaian Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulations 2012 (L.I. 2182)
- Ensure all employees under your charge work in accordance with the Explosive Regulations 2012 (L.I. 2177)
- Any non-compliance is recorded and instruct as such in regard to the management of the Underground Mining Operations
- Any occurrence of non-compliance is brought to the attention of the Underground Manager and Senior Underground Management
- Maintain a high level of health, safety and environmental awareness and comply with all relevant policies and procedures
- Coordinate the daily management, control and supervision of the underground mining operations
- Oversee underground mining operations with regards to the principle of a duty of care to all employees, (including contractors and visitors) whilst also ensuring that each employee understands and accepts responsibility for his or her own safety and health and that of their fellow employees
- Supervise the overall running of all underground mining activities to ensure mine targets are met safely and efficiently
- Ensure that all incident reports are raised within a 24 hour period and to ensure that all investigations follow the Kinross standards
- Be accountable for delivering on targets as established in the weekly and monthly mine plan
- Monitor and manage compliance to plan of mining activities (i.e. Ventilation, Air, Water, Dewatering, Ground Support, Water spay, Water blast, Road maintenance, housekeeping etc.)
- Lead the communication of underground operating strategies from the Mining and Technical Departments to the underground workforce.
- Ensure that all activities are reported accurately in to the Mine Control.
- Co-ordinate through the Shift Bosses to correctly align the daily shift plans to the weekly plan.
- Provide leadership to manpower management activities including; manpower planning and resourcing the weekly mining plan, discipline and liaison with workforce.
- Co-ordinate with the maintenance department the servicing of underground equipment both mobile and fixed.
- Liaise with procurement to ensure mining consumable levels are provided to a satisfactory level to match production requirements.
- Ensure underground training matrices are communicated and currency is maintained in accordance with training schedules and mining requirements.
Required Skills or Experience
- Diploma/Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years working experience in an underground mining environment
- Must have a statutory certification from the Inspectorate Division as an Underground Mine Captain/Shift Boss
- Must be a holder of Mine Rescue and valid First Aid Certificates
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the Duty of Care Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, and Mining Inspection Act & Regulations.
- Must have thorough understanding of underground mining operations, and solid safety performance at the personal and professional level.
- Must be able to apply standards, policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
- Must have good working knowledge with MS Office Suite.
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with defensive driving skills.
- Ability to drive and operate underground equipment will be an added advantage.
- A proven successful track record of leading teams and managing people
How to Apply
Applicants with the requisite qualifications should send their CVs and copies of relevant certificates to the address below not later than 30th November, 2018. [email protected] Or
The Human Resources & C/PR Manager Chirano Gold Mines Limited P. O. Box 57 Bibiani
Applicants are to indicate the position in the subject area when applying online.