A mortgage finance institution seeks to hire a Database Administrator who will plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database in outline
- Considering both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Refining the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model
- Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Installing and testing new versions of the database management system (DBMS)
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly
- capacity planning
- Working closely with IT project managers, database programmers and web developers
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- responsible for disaster recovery process
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customising existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose.
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from an accredited institution(Second Class Upper), MBA will be a plus.
- Five years of experience in working for a financial institution or consultant for financial systems.
- Ability to liaise both internally at all levels and externally with a network of related professional service providers.
- Ability to manage IT related matters professionally.
- Ability to provide direction to staff regarding any IT related challenges that come up.Ability to analyze, plan and organize work to achieve cooperate goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills:
Project management skills: manage the vendor and users expectations
Team leader: Leads small teams of technical resources
Develops internal meeting objectives and agendas
Prioritizes multiple tasks effectively
Effective project reporting e.g. managing
Direct access to senior management/project
Solution Development and Delivery
Understands technical and business design requirements.
Testing business and technical solutions.
Identifies system deficiencies and recommends solutions.
Understands relational database concepts.
Demonstrates proficiency with physical and logical database design
Writes effective stored procedures
Possesses demonstrated work experience with at least SQL Server
Proficiency in Crystal report writer
Knowledge of a current programming language e.g. dot net is added advantage
Understands client server and internet systems architectures