Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organisation.
Job Title: Project Consultant – Equity Project
To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
- Post holder reports to: Head of Region
- Staff reporting to this post: None
TIME AND FEES: At least 2.5 days a week or 10 days a month
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: No
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING
Reporting to the Head of Region, the Project Consultant will be responsible for providing Project Technical Support Services including supporting Producer Organizations (POs) who are beneficiaries of the Equity Project in the implementation of their respective project activities and reporting on same in compliance with agreed reporting requirements. The Project Consultant will also conduct capacity building activities to strengthen the capacity of beneficiary Producer Organizations.
Key Performance Areas
Component 1: Financial Support Facility
- Contribute to the development of tools and collection of data for Monitoring and Evaluation using the project Monitoring and Evaluation Framework/tools especially on beneficiary Producer Organizations (POs) of the proje
- Support POs, where applicable to identify and participate in networks, platforms or events (workshops, fairs, cooperation, exhibitions etc. among rural development actors) for sharing information especially on the project fund/ “facility”
- Disseminate/diffuse information about the Equity project and POs projects to the national level stakeholders and partners
- Assist interested POs to receive support from experts, where necessary, for the implementation of their project activities
- Follow up and technically support POs implement their project activities and to prepare and submit required reports in compliance with agreed reporting guidelines
- Support POs in the formulation and implementation of other projects or activities supported by the facility
Component 2: Institutional strengthening of the Networks of Producer Organizations
- Prepare plans, where necessary, to address the capacity or skill needs of PO partners of the “Equity basedProject”onidentified need
- Initiate discussion with and support the strengthening of the Fair Trade Ghana Network
- Conduct or support experts to carry out training sessions for POs (including the standards of the certification bodies associated with the project)
- Support the establishment of a product and market information system aimed at identifying products on offer by POs and product demands/needs of buyers, especially Northern based buyers
- Support producers to participate in the process of reviewing existing standards or the development of new standards and disseminate modified or created standards
Membership Data Bases and Local Knowledge
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with fair trade member organizations.
- Collect views and needs of the members and share these at all times with the Head of Region
- Advise the Head of Region on POs attitudes towards the project and other stakeholders operating within the country
- Gather information on other related projects and organizations working within the country and advise the Head of Region.
- Initiate, maintain relationships and ensure project awareness among relevant key stakeholders including AFD, state institutions/agencies/ministries/departments, educational institutions etc.
- Advocate on fair trade principles, policies and issues with local or country level opinion leaders and decision makers in close liaison with the Head of Region
- Advise the Head of Region on how to manage risk and also optimize on the opportunities
- Influence localized policies and perceptions in favour of fair trade and fair trade systems and label through the support of the Head of Region.
- Prepare and provide reports to the Head of Region on projects progress
- Provide feedback on project challenges and recommend remedial actions
- Identify opportunities for new projects, collect data and information for forwarding to the Head of Region
Provide Administrative Support
- Collect and submit all receipts covering expense and work with Finance and Administration Officer to keep project accounts
- Ensure proper archiving of all project documents (reports, photos, accounts, mail etc.) as well as security and maintenance of project equipment
- Ensure all FTA procedures and systems are adhered
- Ensure effective exchange of information and development of good practice regarding all relevant issues relating to FTA
- Mentor members and potential members on fair trade and FTA requirements.
Required Skills or Experience
Agronomist or socio-economist with relevant experience of at least 5 years in the knowledge and application of the principles and objectives of Fairtrade.
Minimum Academic Requirement
A Master’s Degree or at least a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or a Diploma in relevant field with additional work experience
Minimum Years of Relevant Experience
At least 5 years’ experience in the field of organizational and economic strengthening of producer organizations and Project Management
Communication demands and competencies
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Competence in some of the local languages
How to Apply
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website In The Link Below. If you have any queries, please e-mail [email protected] or call +254 2667669l and ask to speak to a member of the HR team. Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a condition of employment.
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name, and be e-mailed to [email protected] All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
This job description is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time based on discussions with the post holder and the line manager. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievements of key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review Process